Altsteirer

Pics

DCchicken

Songster
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
I am thinking of adding this breed to my ever growing flock (Americna Bresse, Birchen Marans, Cream Legbars, Bielefelders, Barnevelders, Hedemora, and Swedish Flower Hens). Does anyone have any experience with this breed? I know what is posted on GFF's website, but I would like some first hand experience with them.

We imported them and here's what stands out about them: they are very hardy, and the hens lay a ton of eggs. Very productive ancient crested breed; so much so that it's a running joke on our farm about how many eggs we get out of the Altsteirer pen each day. You never know exactly what you'll get with a new breed, but we've been very happy with the Altsteirers. I took this pic today of a hen that was free ranging.

I just got 2 styrian (altsteirer) hens and rooster today! I think one of the hens should be laying already. I got them because they're Slovenian autochthonous chicken breed and I'm from Slovenia :D

That is how rare breeds are continued - by people with a special connection to them!
As a child my folks had many breeds on the farm and I love them ALL today!

OMG!  I'm so glad the Peepers are working.  After reading the reviews by some that their hens learned to bypass the Peepers and still continued to peck I was afraid to hassle them.  Do you have a group shot of your flock showing the Frizzle and the Alsteirer too?  Peeper shots would be welcome too.

I don't have one right now but I will take on in the morning!! ;)

You've got East Coast humidity and we've got West Coast humidity!  We've been in the 90's to 100's for the last 2 months!!!  Worst summer yet!  I no longer consider larger breeds or heavily-downed breeds when adding to the flock ~ the lighter-weight less-downy breeds handle our humidity better.  Our heavily downed Ameraucana never handled our humid climate but she was the first one foraging when it was cold or raining!  We lost her last month and I miss her sweetness but I won't get another Amer to subject her to our horrid climate.

I have friends who have lost birds on their flocks here due to heat but I have been blessed to be able to keep all of mine!

I just got 2 styrian (altsteirer) hens and rooster today! I think one of the hens should be laying already. I got them because they're Slovenian autochthonous chicken breed[COLOR=545454] [/COLOR]and I'm from Slovenia :D
Nice birds. They have quite a bit more white in their faces than mine do

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom