Aluminum polycarbonate mobile Coop?

Hopefully it will work out well for you.
fl.gif

I suggest starting with 3 birds of different breeds
yippiechickie.gif
and do not try to put 6 in there. All though they say it will fit 8... It may work, but it's best to avoid overcrowding and the problems associated with it. Then if you get a bigger coop built next year, maybe add 3 new girls who will lay eggs while your first 3 molt and don't lay eggs... Lots of things can change between now and then, as I have seen for myself.

Have fun!
D.gif

Hi There,

Welcome. This is a wonderful, life saving site....for my chickens and for me.

My imput: I saw the vents at the top. I am not sure if that circulation would be enough.

Is there screening at the bottom to keep out animals from digging under?
Lastly, take your time.....get the coop you want and need...do it right. You will be so glad that you did. Get the set up that you need and the one that will keep your girls safe. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Best of luck

So excited, I bought the tractor supply coop for "eight" chickens, right, I'm going to be getting 3 or 4 max. Was $199-$10 coupon plus tax, so I'm ok with only getting year or two out of it. I've got plans for wheels so I can use it as a tractor. Then I can either build a new one or expand the one i got by making the coop the entire length of the structure and attaching an additional pen. Purchased organic crumbles and pellets and some pine pellet bedding (temporary until I can harvest grass from the yard) . Making a DIY waterer and feeder.

Other than the hens, is there anything I've forgotten? I'll start a new thread with the coop build and my modifications with pics, hopefully this weekend!

And no, no screen on bottom, as it will be a mobile tractor i want them to till the soil for planting so I can't put a bottom screen on. Its in a fenced yard, will see how it goes. I haven't seen most mobile tractor designs with bottoms...but am open to ideas.

No screen on bottom of mine. But I close the door to the coop portion every night. We have lots and lots of predators.

Grass is not really a good bedding. It doesn't absorb anything and it rots. Grass is great for inside their run scratching and pecking around but not in the coop, in me experience anyways.

But you might check out a method called deep litter. It doesn't work for me but it might for you.
smile.png

In my smaller coops and flocks, I prefer the shavings. But in my large coop, (washed river) sand works really well for me.

I'm sure you will learn and grow and adjust many times during this adventure. Funny some things I thought would work that completely didn't and vice versa.
tongue.png

Have tons of fun!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom