ALUMINUM TRASH CANS FOR FEED STORAGE

I keep my chicken feed in a metal can like you are saying. I'm actually thinking about getting another as a preventative as my neighbor is experiencing rats in their coop. 😬 I just placed the feed bags in the can so when one empties you can replace it with another bag. Pouring the feed in may and may not be easier as other bugs may find it easier to take over and you don't want to constantly be pouring fresh feed over who knows how old of feed in the bottom. Also using clips to secure the bags are good if the rats somwhow make it past the can lid.😊

Thanks for your quick reply!😊
Yes, we never had rats here before and there’s no evidence or them getting into the chicken feed. They cannot get into the chicken runs since they are completely covered in hardware cloth. Not sure why they all of a sudden showed up. My tough as nails 14 year old daughter is not squeamish at all and has no problem dealing with the traps, for a price of course!🤣
The cans will be under an overhang of the house and are protected from the elements for the most part. Just wondering if it will be harmful to the chickens to pour the feed directly into the cans.
I pour the 50 pound bag that I’m currently using into a big covered plastic tub that I take from to feed the birds, I was hoping to pour the extra feed into these aluminum cans if it isn’t harmful.😊
Hey Mamma, I do use 3 Aluminum Cans to place my active Feed Bags into. I buy 10 40lb bags at a time so 2 bags fit side by side, and I use one then replace until all gone. Hubby built me an 8’ x 10’ Shed (that shares one Wall with the 8’ x 12’ Chickie House he built too)…the Shed does heat up in 85 F heat in Summer, but so far no issues with Mold…or Rats (which we have Huge Issue this Fall) getting inside the Shed. I am Vigilant! Although I am trying to Trap & Dispose as much as I can Trap them…ongoing…
Good Luck Dear!

I switched to a treadle feeder and now there is virtually NO food waste. If the rats ever do maker it into the run, they won’t be able to get to the food.
Thank you, my Silkies are too small. It was more a question of storing feed that wasn’t currently being fed to the birds.😊

After recently discovering rats in our attic, went and got some metal trash cans to keep the extra chicken feed in. These have been lying on pallets covered with a tarp. Thankfully there have been no sign of the rats getting into these bags, but hey it’s just a matter of time. I bought two 31 gallon aluminum trash cans and was thinking to pour the feed right in. These cans are made in the US and 100% aluminum but I’m wondering if this is safe for the chickens to put the feed directly in the cans or should I line them with a plastic garbage bag first? Anyone out there use aluminum cans to store their chicken feed? Worried the plastic may make the feed heat up or retain moisture and get moldy.
I usually buy six weeks of feed at a time due to shipping issues in my location.
I can’t really put the unopened feed bags directly in the cans, as there isn’t much room to do so. If I take the feed out and pour into the cans I can fit three bags in each can.

We set traps last night for the rats and already caught two of them. Paying my teen-age daughter to set the traps and then retrieve the dead bodies from the attic…🤢
My husband used aluminum cans from the very start of raising chickens. I have a rat problem in the coop. Haven't been able to get any with traps. I never let food out overnight. I use one can to mix the feed and one to store the open bags. No rat issues with the cans.

I use metal cans for feed also I'm in Alabama and so far, in 10 or so years, no sweating or condensation issues.
They (4) are kept at my barn, under a shelter with 3 sides and some shade trees. They are also raised about 14" off of the ground by concrete blocks. I keep a block on the top of each lid, just in case.
I pour my feed straight into the cans.

One stray kitten that moved into my chicken coop in winter took care of my rat population. I came out one night to lock the chickens up and there it was, huddled right in between the chickens. Night after night, I found the kitten in with the chickens. I started feeding it to ensure it would stay and it killed off my huge rat infestation in about a week. The adult rats were nearly as big as the kitten. We have since had a litter of kittens from her, and all are amazing hunters. They have been getting mice since they were only a few weeks old. I understand a cat isn't the right solution for many people.

I use an old non-working chest freezer for storing my extra food, but it is in my pole barn. It would be pretty ugly to have outside your house I'm afraid. So far, nothing has chewed into it and I attached a padlock to the top to keep raccoons and possum out.

Back
Top Bottom