ALUMINUM TRASH CANS FOR FEED STORAGE

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
After recently discovering rats in our attic, went and got some metal trash cans to keep the extra chicken feed in. These have been lying on pallets covered with a tarp. Thankfully there have been no sign of the rats getting into these bags, but hey it’s just a matter of time. I bought two 31 gallon aluminum trash cans and was thinking to pour the feed right in. These cans are made in the US and 100% aluminum but I’m wondering if this is safe for the chickens to put the feed directly in the cans or should I line them with a plastic garbage bag first? Anyone out there use aluminum cans to store their chicken feed? Worried the plastic may make the feed heat up or retain moisture and get moldy.
I usually buy six weeks of feed at a time due to shipping issues in my location.
I can’t really put the unopened feed bags directly in the cans, as there isn’t much room to do so. If I take the feed out and pour into the cans I can fit three bags in each can.

We set traps last night for the rats and already caught two of them. Paying my teen-age daughter to set the traps and then retrieve the dead bodies from the attic…🤢

Sorry you are having to deal with the rats.

I keep feed in the metal trash cans, but I keep it in the feed bag and place in can and then open as needed. I only have 2-3 bags on hand so I have 2-3 cans.

I will say where the handle is, at least for mine, there are small holes which will allow any rain in so I sealed mine with caulk as my bags were getting wet. I have no problem with humidity and/or mold in the summer.

Sorry you are having to deal with the rats.

I keep feed in the metal trash cans, but I keep it in the feed bag and place in can and then open as needed. I only have 2-3 bags on hand so I have 2-3 cans.

I will say where the handle is, at least for mine, there are small holes which will allow any rain in so I sealed mine with caulk as my bags were getting wet. I have no problem with humidity and/or mold in the summer.
Thanks for your quick reply!😊
Yes, we never had rats here before and there’s no evidence or them getting into the chicken feed. They cannot get into the chicken runs since they are completely covered in hardware cloth. Not sure why they all of a sudden showed up. My tough as nails 14 year old daughter is not squeamish at all and has no problem dealing with the traps, for a price of course!🤣
The cans will be under an overhang of the house and are protected from the elements for the most part. Just wondering if it will be harmful to the chickens to pour the feed directly into the cans.
I pour the 50 pound bag that I’m currently using into a big covered plastic tub that I take from to feed the birds, I was hoping to pour the extra feed into these aluminum cans if it isn’t harmful.😊

My understanding was the aluminum is more of a concern if it's in a very hot environment. I imagine that right now, going into Winter, it would be a very low risk. In the future if the aluminum cans are getting very hot, that might be more of a concern.
All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate. I think the low risk of the aluminum being an issue is worth it to keep all the feed away from the rats.

My understanding was the aluminum is more of a concern if it's in a very hot environment. I imagine that right now, going into Winter, it would be a very low risk. In the future if the aluminum cans are getting very hot, that might be more of a concern.
All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate. I think the low risk of the aluminum being an issue is worth it to keep all the feed away from the rats.
Great! Thank you so much. Just didn’t know if they coated the inside of these cans with some kind of toxic substance that would somehow get into the feed.
They are advertised as used for feed storage.😊

Great! Thank you so much. Just didn’t know if they coated the inside of these cans with some kind of toxic substance that would somehow get into the feed.
They are advertised as used for feed storage.😊
You could always scrub them up with some hot water and dawn dish soap, that would help get most (not all of course) things washed off.

After recently discovering rats in our attic, went and got some metal trash cans to keep the extra chicken feed in. These have been lying on pallets covered with a tarp. Thankfully there have been no sign of the rats getting into these bags, but hey it’s just a matter of time. I bought two 31 gallon aluminum trash cans and was thinking to pour the feed right in. These cans are made in the US and 100% aluminum but I’m wondering if this is safe for the chickens to put the feed directly in the cans or should I line them with a plastic garbage bag first? Anyone out there use aluminum cans to store their chicken feed? Worried the plastic may make the feed heat up or retain moisture and get moldy.
I usually buy six weeks of feed at a time due to shipping issues in my location.
I can’t really put the unopened feed bags directly in the cans, as there isn’t much room to do so. If I take the feed out and pour into the cans I can fit three bags in each can.

We set traps last night for the rats and already caught two of them. Paying my teen-age daughter to set the traps and then retrieve the dead bodies from the attic…🤢
I use a plastic garbage can for feed storage, no issues with it.

Metal cans are best for feed storage, and it's best to leave the feed in the original bags in the cans. We have an empty bag or two on the bottom of each can, again, to prevent dampness. Ours are at the coop, up on blocks of some sort, and under a roof to keep them out of weather. Trying to have one outside was a fail, some water leaked inside.
Dumping feed right into the can gets more feed per can, but it's not so good because any dampness at the bottom will ruin the feed. And in case of a problem, you won't have the exact lot number or mill date available for the feed company. Learned this long ago...
Mary

Just thinking out loud. If marketed for feed, I would be more concerned about nutrient loss through a very hot climate or direct sun than leaching. I use plastic containers stored inside a much larger box because rodents will eventually get through the plastic. I know they are out there. Maybe line the cans with mylar?

Metal cans are best for feed storage, and it's best to leave the feed in the original bags in the cans. We have an empty bag or two on the bottom of each can, again, to prevent dampness. Ours are at the coop, up on blocks of some sort, and under a roof to keep them out of weather. Trying to have one outside was a fail, some water leaked inside.
Dumping feed right into the can gets more feed per can, but it's not so good because any dampness at the bottom will ruin the feed. And in case of a problem, you won't have the exact lot number or mill date available for the feed company. Learned this long ago...
Mary
Yes I think you may be right!
I usually have at least four 50 lb bags to spare. Though the feed is lasting longer since I changed over to bucket type feeders with the port holes. Guess, I’ll have to pick up a few more cans. Chicken keeping ain’t cheap!🤣

Back
Top Bottom