Am I a bad momma??

rwgrout

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2011
In the grand scheme of things I'm farily new to this chicken thing - just a few years. I started out with 4 chickens that I got from someone that was moving. Along the way I've gotten a couple of new girls to replace the ones I've lost but I seem to be loosing on average 1 chicken a year. So far, it's all seemed random to me. They are fine in the morning eating, drinking, talking to me, and then dead that night :( Have solved a few cases of soft eggs and one case of the rickets. Last night I noticed one of my girls being lethargic. Crop is fine, no diarrhea so I'm not sure what do to for her. It seems like I'm on the verge of loosing another one, which will be 4 chickens in 4 years :( :( :( :( Is this usual in chickens. Are they just not that hardy? I hear of owners loosing entire flocks due to illness is this just because they are suceptalbe? On a brighter note, I do still have one of my original girls and she still gives me a couple of eggs a week.

What are your thoughts???

Thanks I'll double check. I'm wondering if there are things I'm missing or should be more diligent about if I have chickens that just seem to just die in less than 24 hours......

Chickens make a point to not show that they are ill until they are so ill they can't help it, so it can be hard to catch stuff early. Without a necropsy (most states have a lab where you can send birds in for free or for a very small fee) it's really impossible to know what went wrong in a scenario like yours.

A lot depends upon the breeds that you have. The high production birds tend to burn out at a relatively young age. They have not been bred/selected for longevity. Heritage breeds from a breeder tend to live somewhat longer.

No, I don't think you are a poor chicken keeper, chickens are not really long lived. I have had chickens die like that too, most people who have had chickens, will have one or more that one day is fine, next is dead. Sometimes you will pause and think, is there something wrong there, and then think no, and a couple of days later, she is gone.

I try and enjoy the flock, I have had a flock for years, but I do not have the same birds in the flock. Many people have very old birds, and I don't know if it is we have tougher winters, or I just have never gotten that high of quality birds, but with mine, a 3 year old bird going on 4 is an old bird.

Mrs K

I checked my girls last night and no bugs but I appreciate the suggestion and will keep that new knowledge in my arsenal for future reference. She was still a bit droopy last night but was still drinking. Hopefully this will pass.

Thanks for your suggestions and support!

Oh dear! No I don't worm them. I guess that's something I should do on a regular basis??

Back
Top Bottom