Am I a hen or a Rooster?

Tialena

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2016
Essex England UK

Hi i was sure this one was a hen, but yesturday somone crowed in my coop! I have noticed she has got alot redder in the last couple of weeks also some red feathers have appeared on her back. She has no sign of spurs and acts like a hen im so confused please could anyone help? Thank you

Sorry i didnt mean to imply only roosters get spurs, i was just trying to point out her more feminine points, also she is very round and also very motherly to the younger ones too a point that we named her mother hen lol I guess im in denial as she is by far my favourite! My husband insist's It was her who crowed but i need more convincing please.

That's a cockerel. Just look at the darker feathers on the back. Those are the male saddle feathers coming in. Also, Cochins don't usually start to lay until about 6 months of age. A pullet would just be starting to get a hint of pink in the comb at 4 months. Your guy has been red for a while now. And spurs don't usually begin to develop until after 6 months of age.

I no expert but I would say that is a rooster because of the redness in the comb and wattles and the pointed hackle feathers. However it still hasn't developed a prominent trail feather,so I may be wrong. Good luck

I no expert but I would say that is a rooster because of the redness in the comb and wattles and the pointed hackle feathers. However it still hasn't developed a prominent trail feather,so I may be wrong. Good luck
Go take a look at Cochin rooster photos. They aren't really supposed to have the typical rooster tail feathers, due to their very low tail-set. Good Cochins almost look rumpless.

Back
Top Bottom