Am I a hen or rooster Serama?!?!?

Maine_chic

Songster
Jun 20, 2019
Hi all! This is our first (and only!) Serama. We got him/her by accident—a friend who raises ONLY Silkies and Seramas gave us 4 eggs....all supposed to be Silkies! Three didn’t develop and the one that hatched gave us quite a surprise! We live in Maine so a Serama isn't a great match for us...but my kids certainly love this affectionate little bird! I think this is a rooster given the color and development of the comb, but I have nothing to compare it to!! These pics were taken at 3 weeks and 2 days old. What do you think....hen or rooster?!?!?!? Please give me your opinion and rationale so that I can learn! Thanks! :)
PS If anyone is knowledgeable about keeping a SINGLE Serama inside your house during the cold months, please connect with me, I have quite a few questions, reservations and concerns ( I **DO NOT** want to keep a chicken in my house, no matter how small and cute it is....but my kids are very persuasive so I'm trying to be proactive here :)

Attachments

• IMG_9407.jpg
    IMG_9407.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9409.jpg
    IMG_9409.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9417.jpg
    IMG_9417.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9421.jpg
    IMG_9421.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 10
That looks like a little cockerel, due to the size and color of the comb and wattles at that age.
I have never attempted to keep a chicken in the house (single or otherwise; not after they feathered out) but I know some people have. Not sure who to tag; hopefully someone will weigh in.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Hi all! This is our first (and only!) Serama. We got him/her by accident—a friend who raises ONLY Silkies and Seramas gave us 4 eggs....all supposed to be Silkies! Three didn’t develop and the one that hatched gave us quite a surprise! We live in Maine so a Serama isn't a great match for us...but my kids certainly love this affectionate little bird! I think this is a rooster given the color and development of the comb, but I have nothing to compare it to!! These pics were taken at 3 weeks and 2 days old. What do you think....hen or rooster?!?!?!? Please give me your opinion and rationale so that I can learn! Thanks! :)
PS If anyone is knowledgeable about keeping a SINGLE Serama inside your house during the cold months, please connect with me, I have quite a few questions, reservations and concerns ( I **DO NOT** want to keep a chicken in my house, no matter how small and cute it is....but my kids are very persuasive so I'm trying to be proactive here :)
Is you can can you waigh him, and how tall is he? How old? And we're did you get him, and is he pure? Sorry for all the questions. I am interested in getting some.

That looks like a little cockerel, due to the size and color of the comb and wattles at that age.
I have never attempted to keep a chicken in the house (single or otherwise; not after they feathered out) but I know some people have. Not sure who to tag; hopefully someone will weigh in.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you very much!

Is you can can you waigh him, and how tall is he? How old? And we're did you get him, and is he pure? Sorry for all the questions. I am interested in getting some.
Hi! I can probably weigh him pretty easily, I will try later today. I dont' klnow how tall but I can try that too. He is definitely a pure Serama. The person from whom we got the eggs is a huge aficionado of Seramas and he did NOT intend to give us one of his prized Serama eggs!!!

Back
Top Bottom