Am I a ROOSTER!?! **fingers crossed**

suzannevans

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013

Any guesses on the proud leghorn standing on left, is "he" a rooster?
fl.gif

the leghorn still early but looks rooo (comb too small for a leghorn roo but its pretty red)
the back chick defo Rooooooo (large red comb)

Last edited:
What is the giveaway? Comb, stance, etc and is that different with each breed? Sorry I'm really new at this. Only started with chickens week before Easter. And I am LOVING IT!!!!

If you are referring to the "back chick" being the one toward the back, fartherest on left, that is a leghorn, one closest to front kinda in the middle is a speckled sussex.

What is the giveaway? Comb, stance, etc and is that different with each breed? Sorry I'm really new at this. Only started with chickens week before Easter. And I am LOVING IT!!!!
cockerels have bigger and faster growing combs and wattles. and they are far more redder than a pullet

they also have larger shanks (legs)

eventually as they feather they will get pointy hackle feathers (pullets rounder)

they will get flowing saddle feathering (pullets don't)

and a lot of the cockerels get a lovely Squirrel Tail (a tail that is large are fabulous)

hens keep a small tail

peacomb chicks cockerels would be identified by the redness of the comb rather than the size as the go red but stay small for at least 6 months

Last edited:
If you are referring to the "back chick" being the one toward the back, fartherest on left, that is a leghorn, one closest to front kinda in the middle is a speckled sussex.

I can see 3 chicken in the pic

started on right looking at it the white one

that's the one I mentioned look roo as comb is red but then comb is very small

then next to it moving right but most forward of the picture that is pullet

the one on right from that behind defo roo large comb and red

I see one next to the white chick but I cant see it so that I wont be including nore the ones at the very back of coop as they are also very blurred

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! I'm pretty sure this fellow is a rooster even though "He" was supposed to be a "She"! I can tell you one thing he sure has a "Cocky" attitude! Walks around standing proud like he owns the coop. Also he loves to be admired, but you better do it from a small distance, get any closer than I got in this picture and he's gone!

Back
Top Bottom