1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I a rooster or a hen? And what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamapatt75, Sep 17, 2013.

1. mamapatt75

mamapatt75 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    We bought this one from a friend and was told it was an already laying Black Astrolorp hen....but I'm really starting to second guess because we have had it for almost a month and no eggs...and this morning it was crowing like a rooster. I am new to having chickens so I'm very confused.
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    From the tail he looks like a rooster, could be a Black Australorp, but need better pictures, and what color are the bottoms of his feet.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd say that you have a rooster, judging by the tail feathers and large comb. Are the bottoms of its feet white or yellow? If white, you have an Australorp or a Black Orpington, if yellow, he's a Jersey Giant or a Java.

4. mamapatt75

mamapatt75 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Here are a couple more pics I just went out and took using the regular camera instead of my phone. I was trying to see the bottom of the feet...they look white to me, but it ran through the garden and got dirt all over them haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. speedyfuzzball

speedyfuzzball Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Looks like a rooster :/

6. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty clear hackle and saddle feathers there I think.

Great green sheen to him too.

I would guess a Black Australorp cockerel.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Definitely a rooster--I see pointed saddle, tail, and hackle feathers, the comb is large, and, or course, he's crowing. If he has white bottoms of feet then he's an Australorp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by