Am I a squirrel or just nuts??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ScoobyRoo, Nov 5, 2008.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm doing everything I can to get my chickens ready for winter. Even driving by harvested fields to scoop up spilled grains. I've got a lot of soybeans now (learned that I need to roast/cook them first) Now, I need to know if the chickens can eat persimmons without problems? I'm putting all this stuff together to make suet. Pumpkins (the store gave me), old bread, veggies fruits etc. Since I have a lot of persimmon and paw-paw trees I just wondered if they can eat those (the fruit not the tree)[​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Does anybody know if chickens can eat persimmons or paw-paws?

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hmmm, that's a good question....I don't see why not. The seeds are the only thing that may present a problem....

4. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    We give ours the seed and any pulp that doesn't go through the strainer when we make persimmon pies. They don't eat the seed usually, and they come out whole when they do. They love the pulp though. You should see them go through a bucket of pumpkin guts! We don't know anyone with pawpaws right now, so ours don't get any of those, so I don't know if they're safe or not. I would assume they are ok though.

Hope this helps,
    Emily in NC

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens tried the persimmons, didn't like em.
    Spoiled rotten brats.

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Thanks for the replies. Since I'm making suet out of these fruits and mixing in a bunch of other stuff maybe they wont get enough of the paw-paw to do any harm. My chickens eat just about anything even though they free range a lot. Thanks again

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Persimmons? Yes! The dried ones are even sold as treats for parrots. I like them too. I wish we could grow them here, but it's too cold.

Paw paw? Probably. I've never heard anything against it, for any avian species.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by