Am I an animal hoarder?

I have two dogs, a cat, and a few different birds in an aviary. Am I considered a hoarder? I take care of all of my pets by the way. I am just worried what people might think of me.
People are generally considered hoarders of animals when they can no longer care for the animals in their care because of the number, resulting in poor health and cleanliness condition of all the animals as well as often times the people in the household

I have two dogs, a cat, and a few different birds in an aviary. Am I considered a hoarder? I take care of all of my pets by the way. I am just worried what people might think of me.
Oh get in line - you are way behind on the hoarding animals stakes!
On a serious note, as others have said, as long as you can care properly for them then it isn't hoarding.

Animal hoarding is not about the number of animals you have. It has unfortunately has become an empty insult used against people that have a lot of pets or livestock. In order to be an animal hoarder you must meet the following criteria

-Obtain animals whenever you are able to IE bring in new animals constantly
-Fail to provide a standard of care IE not provide proper enclosures food or medical care
-Fail to acknowledge your care is lacking IE believe you are the best home for the animal and refuse to re home even in the face of evidence to the contrary suck as animals dying in your care
-Negatively effect your own life either by living in animal feceses or spending all your time an money on animals.

So animal hoarding is not about the number of animals. Broiler farms and hatcheries are not animal hoarders despite meeting some of those criteria nor are most sanctuaries hobbiests and breeders. A true hoarder leaves a path of death and misery in their wake.

No. And that’s not even a lot of animals. At one point I had like 20-30 chickens plus like 20 quail, a dog and a cat. And 2 parakeets. Plus fish. Now I don’t have any birds or fish and just have one dog and one cat but yeah. Not a hoarder as long as they’re being taken care of.

I have two dogs and a cat living inside my home. In my backyard I have parakeets and cockatiels living in an aviary setting. I also have a bunny in a hutch with a run.

Does this mean people will think that I am a hoarder and I'm losing my grip of reality? Or does just mean I love animals?

Can anybody relate?

I think it depends on your living arrangements. Having multiple indoor pets in a studio apartment is very different from having them in a 4 bedroom house. It also depends on your ability to care for them, in terms of both time and money. Pets need attention, and they require money for food, upkeep, and medical care.

Back
Top Bottom