Am I asking for trouble? Turkeys...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by AUFan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. AUFan

AUFan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    If I move my 3.5 week old turkey babies outside into their coop. They are about too big for their brooder and are constantly trying to fly out. It is in the 80s during the day and 50s at night now so I was thinking with a light they should be okay.....thoughts??

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

3.5 weeks is kind of young, but if you don't have the space you are kind of stuck. Ours don't see the dirt until 8 weeks or more depending on the outside temp..

They will still need heat at that age and temps in the 50's. The bigger problem is if it rains make sure they don't get wet. Our grow out pens are all covered and we make sure they go to the roost at night and not pile up on the ground of in corners.

Steve in NC

3. AUFan

AUFan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Quote:I would of course prefer them not to be on the ground yet...but they grow a bit faster then we planned for! Their pen hasn't gotten wet any of the times it has rained(including with wind)...we had checked that out before deciding where to put them. I think we will try it and see how it goes...I know they will be much happier with more room!

4. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    They should do okay if you make them a spot that is covered 3 sides with a heat lamp in it, so they can go in to get warm. Good luck on them and hope they make it. [​IMG]

5. AUFan

AUFan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Yup we have that(its almost 4 sides...with just enough room for them to get in and out)...though I had to put them in it last night....they were huddled by the door together!

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Once they get the idea of where to go at night they will be ok. Do they have a roost in the coop? they will be warmer on a roost at night.

Steve

7. AUFan

AUFan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Yes, I put a roost in the partitioned off part with the light! [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My turkeys never hit the ground before 10 weeks. You will find turkey poults look for more reasons to die than any other birds. Sadly but true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by