Am I asking for trouble? Turkeys...

AUFan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
If I move my 3.5 week old turkey babies outside into their coop. They are about too big for their brooder and are constantly trying to fly out. It is in the 80s during the day and 50s at night now so I was thinking with a light they should be okay.....thoughts??

3.5 weeks is kind of young, but if you don't have the space you are kind of stuck. Ours don't see the dirt until 8 weeks or more depending on the outside temp..

They will still need heat at that age and temps in the 50's. The bigger problem is if it rains make sure they don't get wet. Our grow out pens are all covered and we make sure they go to the roost at night and not pile up on the ground of in corners.

Steve in NC

Quote:
I would of course prefer them not to be on the ground yet...but they grow a bit faster then we planned for! Their pen hasn't gotten wet any of the times it has rained(including with wind)...we had checked that out before deciding where to put them. I think we will try it and see how it goes...I know they will be much happier with more room!

They should do okay if you make them a spot that is covered 3 sides with a heat lamp in it, so they can go in to get warm. Good luck on them and hope they make it.
fl.gif

Yup we have that(its almost 4 sides...with just enough room for them to get in and out)...though I had to put them in it last night....they were huddled by the door together!

Yes, I put a roost in the partitioned off part with the light!
big_smile.png

My turkeys never hit the ground before 10 weeks. You will find turkey poults look for more reasons to die than any other birds. Sadly but true.

Back
Top Bottom