Am I clipping them wrong?? (photo)

sally4500

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
NH
I have a 7 month old easter egger that flies onto the gate, then jumps off the other side to freedom. She then free ranges all over the yard, sometimes wandering out front or into the woods. I dont want her to get hurt or eaten, so have clipped her wings TWICE, and she still gets out. The gate is about 4 ft high. I cant make it any higher, as there is nothing to attach it to. Please take a look at this pic and let me know if I am clipping them wrong. The rest of the flock seems content to stay behind the fence.

54219_cats_006.jpg
d

It looks to me like you haven't cut enough off. From the photo, you need to cut up to where that first line of lacing is in her feathers.. Cut from the bottom of her wing up to those black feathers on the top where the hand in the photo is holdering her wing.

you cant clip too LITTLE, whatever it takes for 'em not to fly the coop. you can clip too MUCH though. But yeah, a little more wouldnt hurt. I doubt she'll be flyin high now though.

oh, i just read the gate was only 4 ft... thats pretty low. thats like a jump over gate
tongue.png
try it out though, cant go wrong.

Last edited:
In my experience, chicken wings are like dog toenails - Cut them, but make sure not to cut them so far down that they bleed.

I agree that the wing in the picture needs to be cut more - when cutting them I like to look at them from the underside so I can see the feather shaft and the actual wing.

I hope it helps her stay safely in your fence, she is pretty!

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I only cut one side and she still gets up there. But I will clip more in the morning; I just didn't dare without asking someone here first. Thanks, Ms Fuzzy Butts for explaining how far to cut.

EricH, what happens if I cut too much?? Blood??

Dont have a pic of the gate, I am at work for the night.

I guess IRoo answered the blood question. I'll check underneath too, didnt think of that. She is a real sweet, sweet girl. I would hate to have her mad at me for drawing blood.

If you cut too much, yes, blood.. But like Idealisticroo said, just look on the underside of her wing and you can see at what point of the shaft the blood stops.. It is sort of like our fingers "quick"... You can see where it stops at..

Here I've helped you out a bit.

1. Make sure your cutting only one side.

2. Clip up to the "small feathers" that are on top of the primaries. (Red Line)

4. Leave the secondaries. (Green Line)

5. I leave like 2 Primaries on the outer edge for looks. (Blue Line)

61023_54219_cats_006-1.jpg

So it looks something like this;

61023_clip-large-parrot_s-wing-feathers-200x200.jpg

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom