Am I crazy? Is a neighbor's rooster learning to crow from our rooster?

HiEverybirdy

Crowing
May 5, 2020
East TN
Our Brahma cockerel has a distinctive, low-pitched crow. I've not heard another like it...until yesterday, when he crowed, and there was a faint echo of his crow through the woods. It happened a few times, but we're building a little homestead, I'm exhausted, so I chalked it up to losing my mind.

Until this morning, when it happened again. My Brahma crowed, and someone answered from the distance with an identical crow. Is it possible neighbors have a cockerel learning to crow from ours?

We're on the side of a mountain in a rural county, and roosters are very much allowed. I thought we knew everyone who got new chickens this year. We haven't heard of new roos in the hood. So while it's confusing there's a crowing sound coming from the direction it's coming from, it's downright extraordinary it sounds just like ours.

Do roosters mimic each others' crowing styles? If nobody answers this post, I'll have to don the ghillie suit in the a.m. to find this mystery chicken for my own sanity. TIA

I noticed roosters crow off each other. My pet rooster will crow when I watch homesteading videos that have rooster sounds in the background. When I used to have other roosters running around outside, one would start and soon enough they all would follow. I think its territorial or just them letting other roosters know that they are out there.

Our Brahma cockerel has a distinctive, low-pitched crow. I've not heard another like it...until yesterday, when he crowed, and there was a faint echo of his crow through the woods. It happened a few times, but we're building a little homestead, I'm exhausted, so I chalked it up to losing my mind.

Until this morning, when it happened again. My Brahma crowed, and someone answered from the distance with an identical crow. Is it possible neighbors have a cockerel learning to crow from ours?

We're on the side of a mountain in a rural county, and roosters are very much allowed. I thought we knew everyone who got new chickens this year. We haven't heard of new roos in the hood. So while it's confusing there's a crowing sound coming from the direction it's coming from, it's downright extraordinary it sounds just like ours.

Do roosters mimic each others' crowing styles? If nobody answers this post, I'll have to don the ghillie suit in the a.m. to find this mystery chicken for my own sanity. TIA
my sister has her own enclosure with her chicken in and their just across from my own one of her males was quite timid and scared but my male would crow (hes a noisy bird) and my sisters timid bird started mimicking his crow! its quite interesting how they learn from each other!

I was wondering if he'd ever adjust his crow to a more common rhythm. He's been crowing the same sounds for over 2 months. Would he still change after that?

What's mind-blowing is that this ghost chicken isn't just crowing back at ours--he sounds exactly like our cockerel. Has anyone heard of that?

I had 5 bantam english game roos, a polish roo, and a sultan roo all at the same time. My little bantams all sounded the exact same except for one, his name was Mr. Caw because his crow was a long drawn out high pitched Caw instead of high pitched cock a doodle doo like the other ones. My polish had a deep booming crow. My sultan's crow is like the polish's crow only higher pitched and a little vibrato thrown in at the tail end.

I had 5 bantam english game roos, a polish roo, and a sultan roo all at the same time. My little bantams all sounded the exact same except for one, his name was Mr. Caw because his crow was a long drawn out high pitched Caw instead of high pitched cock a doodle doo like the other ones. My polish had a deep booming crow. My sultan's crow is like the polish's crow only higher pitched and a little vibrato thrown in at the tail end.

Ooo, so it was sort of by breed (except Mr. Caw). That's funny because my first thought was, "Who else got a Light Brahma around here?"

Back
Top Bottom