Roosters are driving me crazy

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I am at my wits end. I have 9 roosters/cockerels and 5 or 6 of them have been crowing in the middle of the night, often. The ones that are crowing don't sleep in the coop, they are under the coop, I went out last night to try to catch them and lock them in, but they were too far back and I didnt want to crawl in poo. I think it's the full moon that may be triggering it the last few days. I have not slept since 1 am.

I am getting rid of a few of them, 3 were holdovers from a previous culling, 2 are bantams which we are keeping, 1 rarely crows which we keep as a breeder, and then 3 are salmon faverolles which I habve been waiting to cull to see which has the best conformation. I am about to get rid of all of them.

I am surprised my two neighbors haven't said anything, I just hope their windows and insulation is better than ours.

I had a cockerel that was crowing at times in the middle of the night due to critters lurking. I had a couple big buck deer coming to my garden at night (coop next to the garden) and when the cockerel 1st started crowing at night the deer stopped showing up. I think the cockerel would hear the deer and crow.

I have a rooster, Buddy, that when I get up at 4 Am to go hunting he always hears me close the door at the basement and starts crowing and doesn't stop. I have 20 roosters at the moment - most heading to freezer camp Sunday - and they make a lot of noise. But my neighbors have never complained because they love the eggs so much! In fact, some of them love to hear the roosters! I was really surprised to hear that! 😲

If you have laying hens, walk over and set a couple dozen on your neighbors door step. Add a couple pairs of ear plugs to the eggs to be especially sincere. 🙂
One neighbor doesn't like eggs, or I totally would.

The other house might be a safe enough distance away with where their bedroom windows are.

Me on the other hand, nope. Flipped the fan on, moved to my daughter's rooms on the opposite side of the house. My husband had his handphones on with music playing, still heard the bohemoth overgrown rooster belting.

The worst part is they would be silent for like 5 minutes and you think yhey would be done and they start back up again.

I am literally looking up coq au vin recipes on Pinterest.

I have a rooster, Buddy, that when I get up at 4 Am to go hunting he always hears me close the door at the basement and starts crowing and doesn't stop. I have 20 roosters at the moment - most heading to freezer camp Sunday - and they make a lot of noise. But my neighbors have never complained because they love the eggs so much! In fact, some of them love to hear the roosters! I was really surprised to hear that! 😲
I love your (Girls hunt too), my 12 year old niece 1st year hunting got a doe during our firearm season and must of turned on the switch because all my brother would hear is now I need to go get a buck. We really miss our Rooster crowing, had to put him in the freezer because he kept trying to kill one of the pullets. Besides scaring away a 180" 8 point I have watched for 6 years lol.

Try blackening the coop windows with thick (winter) curtains?

Oops.... There under the coop. Roll down black plastic at dusk?. Just throwing things to see if anything sticks. 🙂

I love your (Girls hunt too), my 12 year old niece 1st year hunting got a doe during our firearm season and must of turned on the switch because all my brother would hear is now I need to go get a buck. We really miss our Rooster crowing, had to put him in the freezer because he kept trying to kill one of the pullets. Besides scaring away a 180" 8 point I have watched for 6 years lol.
Thanks I have been hunting for 5 years and have gotten quite a few deer and a couple turkeys. Yeah I probably would have eaten him just for scaring away that big buck!!

Back
Top Bottom