Am I destined to be odd?

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
I have seen so many posts where somebody had chickens stolen from the coop. The other day I went out to take care of my chickens, just the night before I went in with a flashlight and removed a bunch of roosters to cull. As I was feeding, I was looking around, admiring my feathered friends when I saw it. There was an extra rooster in there! I have never seen this guy before, I would have noticed him. I gave a friend some eggs to hatch last spring, and this guy was the same color as two roosters that she hatched out and gave back to me but I already culled those two. My flock consists od Brown Leghorns, Partridge Chantecler, Black Copper Marans, Blue and Black cochins, Blue and Black Ameraucana, and some Barred EE's. This guy was a reddish buff and stuck our like a sore thumb. So where did he come from?? I did find two chicks out by the garden last summer, no mother in sight so I thought maybe predators got her. Maybe she went off and raised a chick and a neighbor found him and stuck him in the coop when I wasn't home? Instead of birds getting stolen, apparently I get them added. But I don't need a cross bred rooster so I moved him to the cull pen.
roll.png

Fortunately, it hasn't gotten common yet, but it does happen that people who don't want their chickens will abandon them at a home that already has chickens.

It's a problem because it is a huge violation of bio-security. I hope your free gift bird doesn't infect your flock with mites or disease.

My mom has had a few dropped over the fence, like when some one else either tired of chickens or predators got all but one.

Back
Top Bottom