Am I destined to be odd?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have seen so many posts where somebody had chickens stolen from the coop. The other day I went out to take care of my chickens, just the night before I went in with a flashlight and removed a bunch of roosters to cull. As I was feeding, I was looking around, admiring my feathered friends when I saw it. There was an extra rooster in there! I have never seen this guy before, I would have noticed him. I gave a friend some eggs to hatch last spring, and this guy was the same color as two roosters that she hatched out and gave back to me but I already culled those two. My flock consists od Brown Leghorns, Partridge Chantecler, Black Copper Marans, Blue and Black cochins, Blue and Black Ameraucana, and some Barred EE's. This guy was a reddish buff and stuck our like a sore thumb. So where did he come from?? I did find two chicks out by the garden last summer, no mother in sight so I thought maybe predators got her. Maybe she went off and raised a chick and a neighbor found him and stuck him in the coop when I wasn't home? Instead of birds getting stolen, apparently I get them added. But I don't need a cross bred rooster so I moved him to the cull pen. [​IMG]

2. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, you're one lucky person, and that is one unlucky rooster.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Fortunately, it hasn't gotten common yet, but it does happen that people who don't want their chickens will abandon them at a home that already has chickens.

It's a problem because it is a huge violation of bio-security. I hope your free gift bird doesn't infect your flock with mites or disease.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When I had a free range flock of semi feral bantams, someone would drop off excess roosters every autumn.

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    My mom has had a few dropped over the fence, like when some one else either tired of chickens or predators got all but one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by