Am I Doing Good With These 2 Buff Orpington 3day Old Pulles?

Birdgirl99

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Tampa Florida
OK So October 29 i obught 2 Buff Orpington chicks at 2 days old now they are 3 days old ands they are females so far since it is cold here in florida haver them in a 30 gallon tank with straw in it and a chick water and a nice food bowl of chick starter in it in the morning i am gonna boilk them an egg and chop it up for them and when they are 7 weeks old i am gonna move them into a coop and at 3 weeks old i am gonna put them in a nice out side chick coop that i have just for chicks am i doing a good job with them i have 7 chickens oldest are 3 and they are very nice to any bird they see even 1 week old chicks so fighting is not a problem for me but is there anything i could do for them

i also have 'save a chick' in thier water which is a water supplement for them here are some pictures i took around 11 AM October 29

they also have no pasty butt and are very nice and tame not scared at all and were active when i got them out of the chick pen that the feed store had them in

Those are very nice looking chicks.

I think it is very important right now that those little ones have a light on them at all times. With being this young they need to stay 85-90 degrees all day long. (I did read that right that they are 3 days old?). So, unless they are staying someplace during the day that is in the upper 80s they need to be that warm 24 hours a day. The aquarium is great for containing the mess, but just as important as staying warm enough is not getting too warm, so I recommend a thermemeter to make sure you are not getting the temperature up too high.

Good luck, and the temperature thing is important, I recommend following the stickies at the top of this forum for temperature, although I think you have some room in there for some error, I would generally stick pretty close to lowering the temp every week until they are feathered in.

You are doing a great job by your description, so please don't take suggestion about the heat wrong. Sounds like you have a really cool chicken set up. Sounds like you already have some girls, did you get them full size or did you also raise them from babies? I find my chickens to be a great source of fun for me and my family, it sounds like yours are living a great life!

Awwhh
love.gif
they are so cute!

The only things I might suggest:

change the straw to pine shavings (the larger shavings are better as they eat them less) - straw tends to be difficult to pick out the poo and when it gets wet it will mold so you end up changing it very often with waterer spills.
add a small bowl of chick grit or sand in there for them to nibble on for digestion.
use a red bulb rather then a white bulb if possible in the heat lamp - it helps them sleep better somehow.

You can use those suggestions, but those things are really just cosmetic and not necessary. You're doing a great job with your adorable chicks - food, water, heat and safety are the things chicks need & you're providing those just fine.

Yes, please post follow up pics of your babies at weekly intervals!
caf.gif

They are and yes i have 7 of them i got them all from the same place shells feed and garden nice place really is they were all 1 to 3 days old when i got them and now i have these birds i will say their age and breed all my chickens are hens or pullets

i have

Caramel-a 3 year Rhode island red hen she was my first i call her Rhody girl most of the time her b-day is August 24 2009 she a cupcake on her b-day no frosting just a plain vanilla cupcake with cracked corn on it as all my others get

Feathers a 2 year old black sex link [black star] hen her b-day is December 16 2009 she is special to me because i saved her life a cat came in a ripped a BIG flap of the top of her head off it took me 8 weeks to save her but she was my hen and i had to save her i made her a inside pet until she got better and 3x a day i had to clean the wound with iodine and gauze bandages she soon got better and the skin grew back vet said she was lucky to survive such a horrific wound

Buffers-a 8 month old Buff orpington Pullet that just started to lay wonderful brown eggs she is very very sweet and she loves to cluck at me when i see and talk to them [they like to be talked to when i feed them] I'll ask them hows the feed today girls and they cluck at me b-day is December 8 2011

i also have

Crayola and Paint Brush they are 2 Americana pullets that will turn 5 months old November 5 and their b-days are July 5 2012 nice bird and will lay in a few months

Twilight and Star Dust i got them about 2 weeks after i got Crayola And PB [paint brush] their b-days are July 22 2012 they are 2 black star pullets just like feathers

and last but not least Pumpkin and Spice 2 buff orpington chicks i got October 29 2012 they are little chicks and i am currently keeping them inside until 7 weeks old when they are 3 weeks old I'm moving them to a pull tray chick run that will stay nice and clean and they will be about 77 degrees then right now they are 95 degrees and in a couple days they will be 90 like you said I'm doing the temp down by 5 every week i have had chicks before so i know what to do with them and it is very fin to go out there and feed them and collect their eggs and go out their with my sisters and brother and feed them corn and bread as treats i give them aloe sometimes if you go down to my photo galleries you can see them all some as chicks and the others as adults i get them all as pairs but sometimes some pass away
hit.gif
like feathers friend cheap cheap she got a broken leg from the cat and sadly died Caramels friend Vienna was a Cornish rock or the store meat birds she died at 1 year at 13 pounds she died at an old age because they barley live 1 year and buffers friend Buffy died June 13 2012 because an opossum decapitated her i had them out and was feeding them and letting them scratch for bugs and it jumped out of a tree and bit her head off i really miss her i shot the possum and the lab said it had rabies

but at least i have my others they are sweet i will take some fresh pictures of them today for everyone to see them

OK i do have a heat lamp for them that don't emit elight just heat the feed store and vet recomended it for them so i went ahed and got that one and i will switch them out for pine shavings and what is chick grit i have starter crumbs which is thier food but could you let me know what that is?

ans sure i will update picks once a weeks for everyone's enjoyment

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom