Am I doing the right thing - I'm new

ChocolateMouse

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Cleveland OH
Lots of good advice here. :) Sounds like you're on the right track. My chickens also just bathe in whatever dirt they have.

dust.png

Sometimes I make a pile of wood ash for them and it gets mixed in in a few days. That's about it.

Jan 2, 2021
I put Food Grade DE or wood ash in the areas they dust bathe in to keep parisites away. And in roughly every 4 months I fill up the holes with compost or sand.

RoyalChick

Crossing the Road
Nov 3, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My Coop
My Coop
As others have said, mine just dig holes wherever they fancy. My run has a roof and is open to the dirt (mainly clay) underneath and I use leaves as litter.
I put some tree stumps in a row and created a little area that is partly under the coop and sometimes I tip some wood ash or fresh dirt in that area. They certainly use that area a lot for dust bathing but sometimes the urge just takes them and they dig a hole where they happen to be standing at that moment. Particularly in the winter they dig holes where the sun peeps in.
There is nothing more peaceful than watching hens dust bathe together, so make sure you get a good viewing seat for yourself!

jeapa

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2012
My chickens have always just made their own dust baths where ever it suited them lol.
That looks like a nice sized run for your small flock. I just thought I would mention to you that it looks like you used chicken wire and that will not keep any predators from getting in and to your chickens. Hardware cloth or heavy gauge wire is best for keeping them out. I would hate for you to come home and find your chickens had been attacked.

Top Bottom