am i doing the right thing??

Probably a good call if it's something that can't be fixed. I spent at least $350 on one of the ones I took. And she didn't make it. I did not expect an 8 month old hen to have a reproductive disease. It didn't present the way it had with others that had it in the past.

It looked like a crop issue or I thought she had a blockage due to eating something she shouldn't have.
first treatment down the gullet! if this doesn’t work we go to Corid and if that fails than *maybe* a trip to the vet for lead poisoning. that’s really all i can think to do at the moment. she’s only three pounds right now, which is a little scary. if the dewormer doesn’t work i don’t think she’ll make it

first treatment down the gullet! if this doesn’t work we go to Corid and if that fails than *maybe* a trip to the vet for lead poisoning. that’s really all i can think to do at the moment. she’s only three pounds right now, which is a little scary. if the dewormer doesn’t work i don’t think she’ll make it
What is she doing or not doing? Does she want to eat?

The treatment for lead poisoning was calcium EDTA in an injectable form. Once I saw that I realized I had it in pill form for metal detox after Lyme treatment. For a few days after I sprinkled a couple of those on the treat trays every day. I figure if it works that way for people then it should work to some degree for chickens and would hopefully at least help lower any lead issues in my group.

I asked and the lead overload can cause neurological issues as well as internal swelling which could cause them to not want to eat. My hen wanted to eat but just wouldn't. I sent her for a necropsy and she had a bunch of tumors internally. :(

What is she doing or not doing? Does she want to eat?

The treatment for lead poisoning was calcium EDTA in an injectable form. Once I saw that I realized I had it in pill form for metal detox after Lyme treatment. For a few days after I sprinkled a couple of those on the treat trays every day. I figure if it works that way for people then it should work to some degree for chickens and would hopefully at least help lower any lead issues in my group.

I asked and the lead overload can cause neurological issues as well as internal swelling which could cause them to not want to eat. My hen wanted to eat but just wouldn't. I sent her for a necropsy and she had a bunch of tumors internally. :(
she’s not eating, jet black poop but we don’t have black berries anywhere, lethargy, not laying for weeks, eating, but just barely isolating herself, fluffing up, comb shrinking, losing a LOT of weight really fast, and she hasn’t payed an egg in probably two weeks now. it’s just all very strange

The comb shrinking sounds like she could be dehydrated. Did you try some sugar or honey water? You may have to stick her beak in it to get her going. If they go too long with out eating they lose the desire to eat.

I haven't dealt with a lot of worm issues but they are usually eating everything in sight but still thin.

Have you tried all the good treats they usually can't pass up?

The comb shrinking sounds like she could be dehydrated. Did you try some sugar or honey water? You may have to stick her beak in it to get her going. If they go too long with out eating they lose the desire to eat.

I haven't dealt with a lot of worm issues but they are usually eating everything in sight but still thin.

Have you tried all the good treats they usually can't pass up?
she eats everything she usually loves, but never seems to gain weight and eats less over time. i can try honey water though!

update, she seems better today. i’ve decided to keep her separate until the treatment is finished and her condition improves, but she does seem a little happier today, my mother thinks that her comb is better but i can’t speak on that so far. looking good!

another update, last night she ate and pooped a ton. her crop was full for the first time in almost a month now and when i dug through one of her bigger poops looking for worms just in case i found pine shavings and a seed from their old scratch. she hasn’t had access to both for at least a month. my current question is, can i give her a friend? she seems lonely and she has two more days of treatment, (though it would be ideal for her to stay separated until she lays eggs again, but i can always just do the food dye method) she does everything with her sister and we have space for both of them. just want to make sure she doesn’t go stir crazy

Glad to hear it!
final update! she’s outside today with her sisters, we did the food dye method on her vent so we’ll know when she’s laid an egg. she still isn’t laying but she’s eating and doing so much better, i think the dewormer worked pretty well. we’re just waiting for her comb to grow to normal and to lay an egg.

Back
Top Bottom