am i doing the right thing??

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
not really sure where to put this lmk if i’m wrong
I wanted to get my chicken on a fecal float test before i dewormed her so i wouldn’t be throwing out eggs for two weeks for nothing. i called five vets in the area, nothing, heck i even called Tufts and they’re booked until next month. but i finally found a place that does chickens and the first thing she does is put me into the system and tell me they’ll need to make an appointment before they can do a test. i’ve gotta bring my chicken in to be examined as well. i asked how much it was gonna be at the end, 85 dollars EXCLUDING the test. so probably more like 100. would it be easier to just deworm her? am i getting scammed? i really don’t want to end up paying 300 dollars for nothing, any ideas?

Dewormers don’t work in a way that makes it a sound idea to only treat part of the flock. The rest of the flock will still be shedding eggs throughout, and the treated birds will just pick them back up again. Dewormers “clean out” whatever life stages of the targeted parasite there are in the bird. There is no residual effect, so it’s not in your best interest to deworm only some of them; the untreated birds will just reinfect your treated birds and leave you back at square one. Also be aware that certain drugs can cause issues if birds are growing new feathers, amongst other things, so timing of treatment will be important as well.

I would see if Tufts would be able to run it for you, and if not, if they had any recommendations for you on a vet that may be able to just perform the float without needing to prescribe anything. :)

Glad to hear it!
final update! she’s outside today with her sisters, we did the food dye method on her vent so we’ll know when she’s laid an egg. she still isn’t laying but she’s eating and doing so much better, i think the dewormer worked pretty well. we’re just waiting for her comb to grow to normal and to lay an egg.

If you suspect worms then I would just deworm them. How many do you have?
Maybe you could de worm half of them and then the other half. Or I think there is some kind of dewormer that does not require you to toss the eggs.

If you suspect worms then I would just deworm them. How many do you have?
Maybe you could de worm half of them and then the other half. Or I think there is some kind of dewormer that does not require you to toss the eggs
our feed store only has the goat dewormer and you’ve got to throw those ones out, but i was really apprehensive of putting something that harsh on their system without knowing for sure what it’s going to do

🤔 unless they’re prescribing medication there should be no reason to insist on seeing the bird(s)... although I suppose that could depend on where you are. Do you have a state lab you could drop off a sample to instead? I work at a large animal clinic and routinely run fecal floats for backyard flocks and other critters, and the vet only needs to see them to be able to treat them. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m in Ontario though, so rules could be very different depending on where you’re located. :)
the closest thing is tufts (if you’re not aware tufts is a college is MA and their veterinary campus is in my country) but i can see thanks!

the closest thing is tufts (if you’re not aware tufts is a college is MA and their veterinary campus is in my country) but i can see thanks!
ok so there’s one in boston but that’s pretty far, i’ll keep looking though!
I would see if Tufts would be able to run it for you, and if not, if they had any recommendations for you on a vet that may be able to just perform the float without needing to prescribe anything. :)
unfortunately tufts is appointment only and booked out until next month :(

Littleton Animal Hospital. Right off 495. There are at least 2 avian vets there and so far it is the best place I have taken chickens to. I don't know if they will want to see a chicken to do the test but it's worth a try.

They have been pushing lead tests because there is a lot of lead in the soil in the New England area from farming, wars, industry etc. I took one of my girls in a couple of months ago. Turned out to be reproductive disease but her lead levels were off the chart according to them.

Back
Top Bottom