am i doing the right thing??

the closest thing is tufts (if you’re not aware tufts is a college is MA and their veterinary campus is in my country) but i can see thanks!
ok so there’s one in boston but that’s pretty far, i’ll keep looking though!
I would see if Tufts would be able to run it for you, and if not, if they had any recommendations for you on a vet that may be able to just perform the float without needing to prescribe anything. :)
unfortunately tufts is appointment only and booked out until next month :(

Where are you located? I use an avian vet in Littleton MA. But they ran my flock fecal under a chicken they had seen so not sure how they would be on just doing it with no patient.

Also, the fecal came back negative. But it's not 100% accurate and based on some of my hens I'm worming them anyway.

Where are you located? I use an avian vet in Littleton MA. But they ran my flock fecal under a chicken they had seen so not sure how they would be on just doing it with no patient.

Also, the fecal came back negative. But it's not 100% accurate and based on some of my hens I'm worming them anyway.
Whats the name? I'm in Worcester county and while I'm not a patient, i'd just love not to have to bring my girl in and pay a ton

Littleton Animal Hospital. Right off 495. There are at least 2 avian vets there and so far it is the best place I have taken chickens to. I don't know if they will want to see a chicken to do the test but it's worth a try.

good lord that’s the vet we’re going to!

LOL. As in it's already the place in the first post and you made an appointment for chicken stuff? FYI they will want to do a lead test too. But they have been pretty good for the past few years I've gone there. And even when I don't like the diagnosis they have been right.

LOL. As in it's already the place in the first post and you made an appointment for chicken stuff? FYI they will want to do a lead test too. But they have been pretty good for the past few years I've gone there. And even when I don't like the diagnosis they have been right.
yea we’re thinking we’ll just go to the vet. she’s been separated from the flock for now and honestly i’ll feel so much better actually having a diagnosis, plus her poop is turned black so it’s just really worrying. if it tops more than 150-200 i’m pulling the plug though. also what’s a lead test again?

They have been pushing lead tests because there is a lot of lead in the soil in the New England area from farming, wars, industry etc. I took one of my girls in a couple of months ago. Turned out to be reproductive disease but her lead levels were off the chart according to them.

They have been pushing lead tests because there is a lot of lead in the soil in the New England area from farming, wars, industry etc. I took one of my girls in a couple of months ago. Turned out to be reproductive disease but her lead levels were off the chart according to them.
ok after a bit of reset we’ve canceled our appointment to deworm her first and THEN we’ll do a doctor appointment, she’s already separated and in out basement so it’s kinda a logical next step. turns out she’s not laying at all so i think that we’re gonna be ok in that department, she’s lost so much weight i’m really not comfortable spending money on a bird that’s on its last leg anyways, i’ll keep updated if she dies or the dewormer works

ok after a bit of reset we’ve canceled our appointment to deworm her first and THEN we’ll do a doctor appointment, she’s already separated and in out basement so it’s kinda a logical next step. turns out she’s not laying at all so i think that we’re gonna be ok in that department, she’s lost so much weight i’m really not comfortable spending money on a bird that’s on its last leg anyways, i’ll keep updated if she dies or the dewormer works
Probably a good call if it's something that can't be fixed. I spent at least $350 on one of the ones I took. And she didn't make it. I did not expect an 8 month old hen to have a reproductive disease. It didn't present the way it had with others that had it in the past.

It looked like a crop issue or I thought she had a blockage due to eating something she shouldn't have.

Back
Top Bottom