Am I doing the right thing

Patricia Jane

Songster
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Petaluma CA
I plan on picking up 4 baby chicks at the end of the month and placing them under my broody hen to see if she will raise them as hers. Wondering if this is taking a chance on health issues.I have 3 other hens, no roosters. I've been told to go for it but the more I read about it the more I feel I should not do it. I found someone on craigslist locally that is hatching. Not sure if they will be vaccinated or not yet but will find out. I can do it if need be. Should I go check this persons set up first? Am I just worrying to much or is it a bad idea? I need a boost of confidence one way or the other. I'm oh so new at this and tend to second guess myself. Thanks for any and all help in advance. Patti

Are they hatching them in an incubator or under a broody? If they are hatched within another flock, I would be worried (probably for nothing- but I'm weird about my birds). If they're being hatched in a bator, I would give that lady some babies. When I first got into chickens, I bought a whole mess of chicks that were broody hatched, I didn't have an issue with them bringing something to my flock. But I hadn't found BYC yet, and hadn't heard the horror stories from people who didn't quarentine. I read a few posts that have said they don't worry about bringing new chicks to their flock, just adults. But I'm a worry wart. Good luck!

Thanks for your response Nikki, I am a worry wart too especially when I start researching. I tend to focus on the horror stories. I'm sure they would be fine but the thought is still in the back of my mind. I would really hate to have anything happen to my girls especially if I could have prevented it. I'm not sure if they are being hatched in an incubator or hen. Dah didnt think to ask but I will now.

Back
Top Bottom