Am I doing this right? Introducing chicks to older hens

Agree with above sentiments. Older chickens harass younger ones, but when they have a safe space to retreat it is good.

we will let the chicks explore the run either before the older chickens are let out, but more commonly when we lock up the older chickens in the evening, then the chicks get to run, play, explore the run without harassment For an extra 30 min.

eventually, they will use the run, but form their own little group - they won’t be fully accepted until they have been laying. Yes, they will still get reprimanded by the older ones, maybe even chased a bit, but they will avoid the older ones and learn some manners.

we put them in the brooder at night until they are better able to stand up for themselves, and usually one or all will be in the coop during the day, with a brave one or two trying to roost in the coop at night. Each batch of chicks we’ve raised has been a bit different in this regard. However, usually by 8 or 9 weeks they are evicted from the brooder to sleep in the coop having gotten 4+ weeks of good integration time with the flock.

Excellent, we are on week 2 already so right on schedule. I had a bit of success earlier, the older pullets approached the chicks and just regarded them rather than chasing and pecking as before. Very interesting about not being accepted into the flock until they are laying! Fascinating social structure to observe.

Can you let chicks explore the run when the older birds are not in it?

Right now, the chicks have to try to explore while also trying to stay away from the older birds.

With only 2 older birds, you could put them in the small enclosure while letting the small ones have freedom in the coop & run. You could swap them back and forth for a few hours at a time, or even give the little ones constant use of the coop & run while the big ones are confined except while you're supervising.

Great idea! I'll give that a try once the chicks are a bit bigger. I could also put the older pullets in the coop for a couple hours during the day. I let them out to free range a bit earlier as well, but I like to be able to supervise that.

Our now 19 week chicks were raised in the run from just a few days old. By 5 weeks, we allowed the chicks to venture into the run as they saw fit. They got chased and pecked by the grown girls. We did put plenty of clutter in the run to allow them places to hide. At about 8 weeks they moved themselves into the coop. They would wait until the big girls were already roosting. That went OK. Now they are two small separate flocks coexisting. Very little pecking or chasing. They all peacefully coexist.

The two late eggs still have movement but the hens gave up on them to focus on the chicks, as the eggs were laid later on during the incubation process...
20211213_120355.jpg
So papa Squabble took over.

Edit... Posted in the wrong forum page and just realised!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom