Am I doing this right? Introducing chicks to older hens

KendraLeigh

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
Hi All! I have some five-week-old chicks I am introducing to my 2 five-month-old hens. I was given advice by someone on this forum to start the introductions sooner rather than later. For the past week the chicks have been in a separate enclosure inside the large run during the day. I put them out in the morning and take them in at night, which is what I will have to continue doing until they are ready for the coop. Today for the first time I allowed the chicks out into the run with the older hens. I cut a small opening in the side of the chick enclosure so they could go in and out as they wished.

It did not go super well. The older hens chased and pecked the chicks who ventured out. This is to be expected, and I am willing to take it slow and supervise as long as I need to, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right! Please tell me if there is anything I can change in this daily routine:

1. Let hens out of coop.
2. Bring out chicks and put in separate enclosure with small exit hole blocked.
3. At various times of day, go out and unblock hole, supervise while chicks venture out, rescue if chasing and pecking ensues to the point of chick being cornered etc.
4. In evening, return chicks to indoor pen.
5. Lock hens up in coop for night.
6. Repeat.

Thank you!

Do the chicks actually know how to use their escape hole? To train them I chase them in and out through the openings a couple of times. Also I refer multiple openings so in case they panic, it increases their chances of making it back in.

Any photos of your set up? For this to work you optimally want plenty of clutter in the run space to providing hiding spots and break up line of sight, when the chicks are out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ Clutter should be placed in such a way that there's at least 2 exits from each item, so chicks cannot get cornered, for example here's my run layout. All items against a wall have extra openings cut into them to allow chicks to escape if needed:

obstacles.jpg

Thank you! It is chain link, and I have netting over it for the time being to protect from hawks and keep the birds in. I could let the older pullets out into the main yard for awhile, they'd love it lol. But yes, there are a lot of possible gaps, corners, etc. that smaller chicks could squeeze into or through, which is what I want to avoid. I'm a worrier, so I'll be supervising until I feel secure.

I'll try to get a pic of the run set-up today

inexpensive plastic fence or bird netting zip ties to the fence up 1.5-2’ high will keep them in the run. Some breeds are still slim/trim enough to slip through chain link easily.

inexpensive plastic fence or bird netting zip ties to the fence up 1.5-2’ high will keep them in the run. Some breeds are still slim/trim enough to slip through chain link easily.
Yes...thinks 5 weeks old chicks could get thru chain link holes.

They could get thru my 2x4 welded wire, had to line the whole run with 1/2" HC to keep them in.....and also to hold wood chips bedding in.

Agree with above sentiments. Older chickens harass younger ones, but when they have a safe space to retreat it is good.

we will let the chicks explore the run either before the older chickens are let out, but more commonly when we lock up the older chickens in the evening, then the chicks get to run, play, explore the run without harassment For an extra 30 min.

eventually, they will use the run, but form their own little group - they won’t be fully accepted until they have been laying. Yes, they will still get reprimanded by the older ones, maybe even chased a bit, but they will avoid the older ones and learn some manners.

we put them in the brooder at night until they are better able to stand up for themselves, and usually one or all will be in the coop during the day, with a brave one or two trying to roost in the coop at night. Each batch of chicks we’ve raised has been a bit different in this regard. However, usually by 8 or 9 weeks they are evicted from the brooder to sleep in the coop having gotten 4+ weeks of good integration time with the flock.

Excellent, we are on week 2 already so right on schedule. I had a bit of success earlier, the older pullets approached the chicks and just regarded them rather than chasing and pecking as before. Very interesting about not being accepted into the flock until they are laying! Fascinating social structure to observe.

Our now 19 week chicks were raised in the run from just a few days old. By 5 weeks, we allowed the chicks to venture into the run as they saw fit. They got chased and pecked by the grown girls. We did put plenty of clutter in the run to allow them places to hide. At about 8 weeks they moved themselves into the coop. They would wait until the big girls were already roosting. That went OK. Now they are two small separate flocks coexisting. Very little pecking or chasing. They all peacefully coexist.

It’s a converted dog run so not designed specifically with chickens in mind.
Chain link?
Can chicks get the the holes?
Pics of coop and run would really help here.

Do you think introducing four into a flock of two will affect dynamics in any way?
Not really, but maybe more newbies than oldbies can help.

Do you free range?
If so,might be good to range the older birds while the chicks can investigate the main run and coop. I kinda show the chicks how to get thru the tiny doors while the older birds are outside.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

my 2 five-month-old hens.
5 months olds are not hens but pullets, still immature, and probably not laying(correct?).

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Agree with above sentiments. Older chickens harass younger ones, but when they have a safe space to retreat it is good.

we will let the chicks explore the run either before the older chickens are let out, but more commonly when we lock up the older chickens in the evening, then the chicks get to run, play, explore the run without harassment For an extra 30 min.

eventually, they will use the run, but form their own little group - they won’t be fully accepted until they have been laying. Yes, they will still get reprimanded by the older ones, maybe even chased a bit, but they will avoid the older ones and learn some manners.

we put them in the brooder at night until they are better able to stand up for themselves, and usually one or all will be in the coop during the day, with a brave one or two trying to roost in the coop at night. Each batch of chicks we’ve raised has been a bit different in this regard. However, usually by 8 or 9 weeks they are evicted from the brooder to sleep in the coop having gotten 4+ weeks of good integration time with the flock.

Thank you! It is chain link, and I have netting over it for the time being to protect from hawks and keep the birds in. I could let the older pullets out into the main yard for awhile, they'd love it lol. But yes, there are a lot of possible gaps, corners, etc. that smaller chicks could squeeze into or through, which is what I want to avoid. I'm a worrier, so I'll be supervising until I feel secure.

I'll try to get a pic of the run set-up today

Back
Top Bottom