Am I feeding my girls enough...

That would depend on the type of feed and the consistency too though. (But IMO the OP should still double check.)

Yep, that's why I stated "by my calculations", meaning my feed. But I would imagine most chicken pellets or grain mixes would be approximately the same weight.

found this for Scratch and Peck Layer
1612818264154.png

Yep, that's why I stated "by my calculations", meaning my feed. But I would imagine most chicken pellets or grain mixes would be approximately the same weight.

found this for Scratch and Peck Layer
View attachment 2521966

The labeled instructions posted here indicate 1/4 to 1/2 POUND of feed daily for chickens. It's been my experience that 1/4 pound of feed is approximately 3/4 cups.

The labeled instructions posted here indicate 1/4 to 1/2 POUND of feed daily for chickens. It's been my experience that 1/4 pound of feed is approximately 3/4 cups.

I have big birds and mine, this time of year, eat more than a cup each per day. I would think 14 average sized chickens should be getting at least 10 - 12 cups a day.

I buy mine pellets in 88 pound bags. I put half the bag into a covered tote and store it in my home, where it is more climate controlled. I split the other ~40 pounds between two feeders. One is a giant garden bowl (supposed to be a planter, but makes a great chicken feeder with a construction block in the middle and food poured over the top. It is located under my mango tree in the deep shade that it provides as I've propped a sheet of zinc roofing over one of its branches to make a 'lean to'. The second feeder is your typical round, upside down bucket looking thing, it sits in the protection of my car port. Chickens are welcome to eat as much feed as they want, when they want.

Am I feeding my girls enough, they act like they are starving everytime I come out. I feed them Scratch and Peck brand 18% layer feed. The bag suggests 1/4 cup per bird. I have 14 chickens total. I ferment 4 cups of feed and add 1/3 cup coconut pulp (I make my own coconut milk) and 1/4 cup chia seeds to the mix. I spilt it up and give half in the morning and half in the afternoon. They also get veggie scraps, carrot peels, apple peels, things like that. What do you guys think???

I suggest you buy a complete pelleted food too, and offer the pellets free-choice.

You can keep feeding the fermented Scratch & Peck, and they will probably gobble it up each time because they like it better.

But by ALSO having a pelleted feed free-choice, the chickens can eat it if they are hungry, and ignore it if they are not hungry. That way they can adjust their own intake according to whether they are laying, or cold or hot, or more or less active, or molting, or anything else that can affect how much they need in a given day.

I feed all organic, too. I ferment Scratch & Peck grower and free feed Bar Ale pellets.

I suggest you buy a complete pelleted food too, and offer the pellets free-choice.

You can keep feeding the fermented Scratch & Peck, and they will probably gobble it up each time because they like it better.

But by ALSO having a pelleted feed free-choice, the chickens can eat it if they are hungry, and ignore it if they are not hungry.

x2. I feed fermented S&P and then also have pelleted feed freely available during the day. There really can be a lot of variance from day to day as far as pellet consumption so I certainly feel better about knowing that they can eat a little more if they want, or less if they don't.

We switched off of Scratch and Peck brand feed for the same reason. Our chickens, especially the larger birds, acted starving all the time even with free choice face stuffing. We think for us (I'm not saying it is this way for all people), the hens weren't eating the powder and therefore were nutrient deficient. Much of Scratch and Peck brand's added nutrition is in the powder, and if it's not ingested, they aren't getting it. We switched to Bar Ale organic corn free pellets and they don't act starving anymore.
Scratch and Peck is one of the few corn-free foods available locally for us, so the switch wasn't easy but the birds seem to act more satisfied with their feed. I think we will be sticking to pellets as our primary feed from now on, with added fermented grains and scratch.

Back
Top Bottom