Am I in the right...?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KingsCalls, Oct 13, 2008.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I had a man e-mail me about buying 2 fainting goats. We agreed on a price and fee if I had to deliver.........I sent pics of the goats and he was pleased.....We set a date for me to deliver the goats.....He cancelled the day I was suppose to deliver......Then he e-mailed me back wanting to know the next date that I could deliver them.....I e-mailed him back and gave him a date and that I would have to have $50 up-front to cover delivery....He e-mails me back and says, the date is fine with him but, does not mention the money....I e-mailed him back and asked about the money.....Finally, he mails me back and says he's been taken before and he is not sending me anything until he has the goats..........I explained to him that he is the one who cancelled the 1st delivery date and I was almost ready to leave with the goats when I received his e-mail. That I didn't want to drive 70 miles one way and me get the shaft. I told him I was sorry that he had been taken before but, I thought we were at an impass and thanked him for his interest.
    I hated to not sell him the goats but, I feel I did what I could do. Am I in the right or not?

2. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    That's a toughie, but from some of the horror stories I've heard on here I think you were right. With the price of gas 70 miles is just too far to drive without some compensation.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jeff, I think you did fine. It's too costly to drive any real distance without some real commitment from a buyer.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    then tell him he can either come get them himself, or send someone with cash to pick them up.

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I think you did right, stick to your guns and dont back down. Good luck........

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    You were in the right. Especially since he'd already cancelled on you once.

7. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Don't be intimidated by him if he emails you anymore. Just tell him that he will have to pick them up and if that's not good enough, keep them, their already yours. [​IMG]

You can deliver them to me >>>BIG [​IMG] <<<

8. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i think you handled that situation perfectly!!!

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    With so many problems at the outset of your transaction, i would be concerned. It's not your fault he's been "taken" before. He was probably planning on talking you out of the delivery fee after you had driven the 70 miles. It's just not worth it dealing with people like that.

10. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    He can come and get them if he is worried about being taken. And tell him you will only accept cash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by