Am I nuts???

Thanks so much,I'm going to set it up on my porch by this weekend. I'm so excited about when they start laying eggs, especially the Easter Eggers lol

Hello, I am really new here, live in Central Fl and bought 6 chicks 2 weeks ago also.I made a ' brooder'out of a large plastic container with the bedding from the store and water and feeder containers in my bathroom. They already have grown a lot,have feathers and try to fly to top of container with lid fully opened. My question is, I already have a hen house/ chicken coop for them and you mentioned you have an outside brooder- so if I put the warming light in outside coop, its OK to put them outside now? I forgot to ask at Rural King how old they were so do you think they were already a few weeks old when I bought them at the store? I appreciate any and all advice, thanks!

Mine are now in the coop. They are doing just fine and I no longer use a warming light. I have nine and in the evening when the temps start to drop I lock them up in the hen house. They put out a lot of body heat and have feathered out very well. I have had no causality using this method. If it was 40 degrees I might consider a warming light but it's not that cold yet here in Mississippi.

Thanks for your post. I've had them outside in a hen house for a week now, they seem to be doing well. We covered the entrance to the ' downstairs' of the hen house thinking what if they get hurt going down the 'stairs' - they are about 5-6 weeks now, all feathered. Does anyone think it's a bad idea to open up the downstairs? Thanks!

I just got rid of my extra roosters. I have only 10 bantams left. (The coop is 10x10 inside, ans 10 x30 outside) Now, I'm thinking of ordering some female chicks from Meyer hatchery. It's October. It's getting colder, Am I nuts, or what??? Should I wait for spring? I have the equipment to set up a brooder in the house. But it will still be winter when they are big enough to go out to the coop.

Any thoughts??? Talk me down?
TIA!

I'm going to take a middle position and neither recommend you get peeps now nor wait until spring. What I have found works for me in incubating my own eggs is to have peeps hatch from January through February. You can brood them normally and as the weather warms decrease temperature. The advantage to hatching chicks in this time frame is that they all seem to start laying early, from the four to the five month mark, even if their mothers didn't lay until 6-8 months.
As daylight increases they start laying, even when young.
Consequently I've had chicks hatched in late April to May not start laying until well past the winter solstice when the days start lengthening again.
My February chicks were all laying by July while I've gotten nothing from my spring chicks, which were broody hatched. I certainly hope they don't wait for the days to lengthen to start.

Back
Top Bottom