Am I over-reacting about my Neighbor and his dog who ate my chick? (kinda a lengthy vent)

Heat

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Washington
So back in May we moved our chicks into their coop and we had their yard all set up with a fence to keep them from wandering near the neighbor’s house or the highway. They were so happy to be able to forage! But the second day they were out we left the house for a bit and came home to find them locked back up and feathers all over the place.

Apparently our neighbor (my hubby’s uncle) was talking with some people in the driveway (which is between our houses) with his dog…. The next thing they knew there was a ruckus and the dog was in the yard with two chicks in her mouth, she had already consumed one. He said once he pulled the chicks out of her mouth he beat the living daylights outta her and she was whimpering and scared the rest of the night, so she learned her lesson.

His only offer for ‘compensation’ was to give us some money to buy a chick or two when we get our next round… He even suggested that they be his chicks so he can get his dog used to being around chickens, but they can live in our coop... I have heard that once a dog tastes the blood or eats a chicken they won't stop, they almost crave it {is this a myth or...?}

So our chicks have been literally cooped up since then. We have had to make more vents to keep them from overheating and I hang outside with them for a few hours when it isn’t raining so they can come out into the yard and forage. The only two that don’t come outside are the Amerucanas… the sisters of the one chick we lost.

Yesterday we were preparing to muck out the coop and had built a temporary fence for them to be in (we are currently making a covered run so they can safely be outdoors) while this was going on. All but the two Amerucanas went outside, I had to catch them and put them with the rest. It took them a minute but they adjusted and were happily foraging with the rest. While we were mucking the coop out our other neighbor (rents a trailer on the same property as Hubby’s uncle) is calling down to uncle saying “fresh meat on the hill!” referring to the chicks, and uncle responds with the likes of “I already ate one, just don’t tell the nephew” and it went on for a few minutes… I am of course in the coop, unseen at this point just stewing (I DO NOT like people talking about eating my family members). So uncle was walking up to the coop during this and once he gets in front of the coop where I and the Chickens can see him the Chickens begin freaking out, squawking, and they all huddled near the edge of the fence furthest from Uncle… and his dog.

I couldn’t believe he brought her back up to the coop! That just makes a dog feel welcomed and think it is ok to come in to that area again, especially since he beat her the last time she was up there. I asked him nicely if he could please not have his dog up there. His response “She won’t do anything with me here” (I was watching her nose to the ground and ears raised looking at the ladies) I told him I still wasn’t comfortable with her being up there. He just said “Whatever, see ya later Sam [my hubby]” and walked off.

This has just been so hard because my dog won’t attack Chickens, and my mom’s dogs never did either. We had one incident when a Chicken went into the dog pen and we think they were trying to play with her because she wasn’t dead, she was just bitten and the dogs were both lying next to her, she had even laid an egg while she laid there. She unfortunately didn’t make it, but I don’t blame the dogs since they could have killed her and eaten her. My dog {Nanuq} loves the Chickens, he was very upset when he noticed one was missing… he went as far as growling while he was sniffing the crime scene. And he doesn’t like the other dog one bit {he has chased her off the property}.

I just don’t know what to do… am I over reacting? He is family… but still….
I guess I just wanted to vent to people who love their chickens as much as I do. Thanks for reading… I feel a little bit better now.

7/2/12- UPDATE: I am building a covered run for the chickens, I forgot to add this into the "vent". They are getting a 6' by 25' covered run to keep predators out. Pallets for the walls with screen and then PVC over the top creating an arch with chicken wire over it. Cloth to create shad in the summer, and tarp to help shimmy off snow in the winter. They are already in a metal storage shed converted into a coop with rocks all the way around the perimeter and a rock bottom (ground is mainly rock which is why the run is taking a little longer than it should... adapting).
A stronger fence would not have helped avoid this tragedy, a taller fence may have, but still questionable since dogs can climb fences if they are oh so inclined. A covered run will protect against flying and climbing predators... we are digging down as far as we can and placing chicken wire to prevent burrowing ones.

And as for Uncle offering to purchase more chicks to replace the one his dog ate... he also suggested that they be his chicks... just living in my coop for me to take care of... So I do not count that as a reasonable offer... Sorry my kid ate your kid... but I can get you another one... it'll be mine though you can just house and take care of it..

Last edited:
Do you get the sudden craving to consume fish when you eat sushi? Or to rip into a cow when you eat a rare steak?

The whole "bloodlust" thing in dogs is a (raelly dumb) myth stemming from two things.
One; The dog now knows chickens=meat and just like they know hamburgers=meat they want it like they want a treat. Moreso since it make sa great toy before hand... (So fuzzy and it runs around and squeaks and...!) So to a dogs mind once they figure it out it's like figuring out how to get the peanutbutter off the bottom of the jar - it's an amazing treat/toy and now it's harder to train them out of it.
Two in certain heavilly HERBIVIOUS animals carrion/meat can be a problem. With humans, dogs and other animals grown to eat meat our bodies require the protien and enzymes from meat to survive. It's normal for a dog to eat meat and has no change on brain chemistry. However in certain non-obligate herbivores such as pigs, rabbits, certain monkeys and apes and other species that we associate with eating plants but CAN eat meat the increade in protien and certain other key nutrients leads to an increase inceratin chemicals in the brain (like adrenaline) resulting in a violent and craving behavior. A rabbit that gets it's paws on carrion WILL often eat it and will seek out more meat sources in the future because of the new hormone levels pumping through it's body. It's like a drug.

I would be ****** to all hell if my chicks were taken. The dog got beaten for his lack of training? I would be more ****** about that. If any of my familly members behaved in this way I would disown them in a flash! This guy doesn't know anything about his dog if he's kicking it and beating it for doing what it's instincts tell it to... It's like kicking a chicken for scratching on the ground and it's ludacris. If the guy is treating his dog that way I would not trust him or his dog around my property...He doesn't have control over his dog - he is bullying his dog. Someday that dog WILL snap back and it does not respect him so the minute his back is turned it will attack again... It's one chance to be a dog with a guy like that is probably attacking your chickens.

If I were in your situation I would call the local humane society out. Most states allow the seizure of abused dogs. Do it anonymously if you have to, to maintain the peace in your home but do NOT allow this man to threaten your chickens (his poorly trained dog) your familly (abused dogs are prone to biting) or you (not manning up to his responisibility is not something that will stop at his dog)! You have the right to protect your flock and home and he has no right to own a dog if he behaves that way.

Husband should explain to his Uncle that you are very dear to him (husband) and therefor so are your chickens. Since chickens are easily scared (health and dropped egg production) Uncle's dog is not welcomed on your property. Ask the Uncle to respect yours wishes, because he (the Uncle) and family is very important to both of you and if forced to choose the dog will lose and no one will "win".

Last edited:
I have to side with the uncle here. Sorry, but if you cared about your chickens like they are your children or something, they would not have been accessible to hawks and loose dogs or cats. Channel the energy you have loving your chickens and build them a protected run and a chicken tractor. Your uncles dog is going to live for a long time, and it would be a wise idea for you to gradually make your chickens get used to having the dog around. I am currently dog sitting a boxer at my house, and I let it in the yard with the chickens. They ignore each other at this point. The chickens don't flinch and just go on eating, and the dog does not show aggression or ever try to get into the run. I know that my yard will occasionally have dogs and cats in it, so it is better to get the chickens used to it at a young age. The fact that you are all offended that your uncle joked that your chicken was meat does not show me that you love your chickens, it shows that you have a different sense of humor or are lacking one all together. If I had a three legged dog I would expect people to joke about it and I would not mind- its not like it would be able to understand.

That being said you should make your uncle go to the nearest feed store and replace your baby chicks immediately. You have the space and equipment, so if you lack actual birds then you are wasting money, time, energy, and space.

sorry, but no Zane. my birds on my property is my right. Someone's roaming dog (family or not) will end up shot. Especially if they find it humorous and continue to let the dog roam.

Husband should explain to his Uncle that you are very dear to him (husband) and therefor so are your chickens. Since chickens are easily scared (health and dropped egg production) Uncle's dog is not welcomed on your property. Ask the Uncle to respect yours wishes, because he (the Uncle) and family is very important to both of you and if forced to choose the dog will lose and no one will "win".

This is rational - try it first.

Also, strengthen the coop/run against ALL predators.

Finally, if all else fails, shoot the sumbitch and his dog. Okay, maybe too extreme, but it is your property, your chicks, and your feelings/peace of mind. The uncle sounds like an idiot. Who needs more idiots in the family? Every family I know has more than their share. You husband needs to defend you and limit the uncle's interaction on your property and ban the uncle's dog.

Kate
I know, I lose patience with some people

I'm sorry about your sucky situation. Does your yard have a fence? That maybe would be an option too. We have a 6 ft cedar fenced backyard, then we also have a coop w run which is predator proof. The fence keeps out people and unattended dogs.
We let ours freerange in the backyard all afternoon and the only problems we've had is a neighbors cat who continues to come in our yard and even bit me once. We checked our state laws and we have the right to kill it if it is on our property and posing a threat to our animals. It's unfortunate, but our neighbors have been told many times that their cat is a problem and they aren't doing anything about it.
Just depends on how far you want to take it.

sorry, but no Zane. my birds on my property is my right. Someone's roaming dog (family or not) will end up shot. Especially if they find it humorous and continue to let the dog roam.
You must be somewhere other than the United States, as there is no constitutional right to property in this country. Please familiarize yourself with said document before you consider voting in the United States. Also if you ever move to the States, there is nowhere here where there is not at least one predator (hawks, eagles, feral dogs, loose dogs, foxes, snakes, cats, coyotes, etc) that is eventually going to kill one of your birds during the day if they are not in a secure area. OP is angry at her uncle because she made an error out of laziness or a lack of resources. She can solve the entire problem by building an adequately protected area for her birds, which would eventually get used to the dog.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom