Am I over reacting or??

Muraco

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2021
I am new here- for starters, but I have read allot of these forms that did help me with my two drakes! (Both are runners)

Hello everyone!
Maybe someone can help me? I have 2 male drakes and I believe they're breathing weird? They're about 7 weeks old now and they are kinda breathing heavy. It's not raspy or rough, but sounds like a heavy sleeper or very deep breaths? Their mouths are not open. Yes, they do take vitamins in their water.
Poop is normal.
Very active and happy.
They have a bowl deep enough to wash their face in and they do get baths very often (at least 3-4 times a week)
Nostrils are clear and clean- I can see straight through to the other side (I have gotten syringes and uses warm water & salt to flush their nostrils after their baths)
They stay in a large dog pen in the house which I clean daily, the water & food bowls are cleaned too

I water down a bit of Ammonium Hydroxide in a spray bottle to clean the pen and I use disinfected wipes as well. Their bedding is pine shavings too! Any wet shavings I see in the pen are removed ASAP!

So, maybe I am over reacting? Not sure, has anyone else had this same issue?

:welcome
I've never heard of taking syringe and flushing out the nostrils with saline. I believe I'd stop that and see if their breathing clears up. There is always a good chance some of that water is going down into their lungs.
Other than that it sounds like they are healthy. If possible a video of what they sound like would help. For a video, you'll need to put it on Vimeo or youtube then copy and paste here.
I have Runners aren't they the neatest characters?

:welcome
I've never heard of taking syringe and flushing out the nostrils with saline. I believe I'd stop that and see if their breathing clears up. There is always a good chance some of that water is going down into their lungs.
Other than that it sounds like they are healthy. If possible a video of what they sound like would help. For a video, you'll need to put it on Vimeo or youtube then copy and paste here.
I have Runners aren't they the neatest characters?

Here you go! Thank you for the reply!

Ducks Breathing Video (attached here)

Yeah, even before that they began to breath like that. I am not sure- I tried to get as close as I could without them freaking out at seeing the phone. I hope that helps. It sounds like heavy breathing.

-Is their water dish deep enough to fully dunk their head?

-When you say disinfectant wipes what brand/formula are you using?

Also Ammonium Hydroxide is very dangerous if it comes in contact with skin or is breathed in. It is actually caustic to the skin and inner membranes and can cause damage if inhaled.

Last edited:
I also wanted to add that disinfecting in general should not be on daily or even weekly basis. Ducks just like people do need to come in contact with some bacteria and germs to maintain a healthy immune system. Keeping their environment completely sterile will only do them a disservice down the road. I only disinfect their pens once a month and only use poultry safe cleaning products.

Back
Top Bottom