Am I overfeeding my ducklings?

Yikes. They are a very invasive species. They were imported for fur in Louisiana and escaped/were let loose. They are native to South america.
Oh dear...I wonder why they are here?! I guess one positive side is that they might be duck friendly. But if it is invasive, perhaps it reduces the food supply for the native birds and other animals. MMmmmm. Hopefully they wont spread to the river near my house and invade our area!

It took me a while and my friend Google came up empty-handed, but my other friend Amazonia now wants to sell me »Wühlmausdraht«, »Schweissgittermatten«, »Volierendraht« and »Kaninchendraht«… But that stuff is even more expensive in Germany than here! :mad:
And yes, Ducks love to sleep outside, i assume Muscovies are the same, and you will need to develop a routine to make them go into their house every evening.
Here this usually starts after sunset, when Blanca Duck approaches the porch, stating that she is "sooo hungry" and "didn't find a single bit to eat the whole day.« After a while Pompom Duck joins her, then Earthquack, Pinball, Smaug and Pommes too quack the hunger-song. In the end 17 quacking ducks and eight rasping drakes make a deafening noise, so i grab the flower box (Balkonkasten) and prepare their supper-bowl with cold water, sunflower seeds, dry cat food, cracked corn, whatever greens i have at hand and whatever kitchen scraps we have.
I carefully step in between the piranha ducks, lower the bowl so they can test their dinner and then say »Alle Enten gehen jetzt schlafen!« and start walking towards the duck house. All ducks then start running into the house to secure a good spot at the dinner - bowl and usually when i step out of the house all ducks are inside and i only have to close the door.
Ducks can be trained to do obey simple commands, but careful: They can also train their humons to obey simple quacks…
Mmm..I'm going to try this!!! Maybe in the morning, we should also sing "Alle meine Entchen, schwimmen auf dem See, ...." to really get them in the mood for waking up!

While checking in on byc, I heard something rummaging in the kitchen, almost afraid it could be trash pandas, having just read your post. I found the ducks hoarding over the cat food bowl, acting like they hadn't eaten in months. For days I was blaming the dog for emptying the cat bowl. Im glad that you wrote you use cat food because I was instantly not worried about them somehow getting sick from the cat food..but that stuff is not cheap! The ducks have proven persistent and strong...they have to climb up at least 3 concrete steps and over the terrace door to get in the kitchen! I thought they only did that at night when they wanted to go to sleep...and I often find them waiting for me (see picture). Anyway, just now, I filled up a bucket that I commandeered from the kids' sandbox...added leftover dill, lettuce, and some oats...and I was able to draw them out of the house due to what appeared to be near starvation. Then I had to carry them down the steps, otherwise they dive bomb onto concrete pavers, which always looks dangerous and painful. After we finally got outside, they ate a bit, nibbled on onion greens, and stormed the pellet bucket (luckily still closed). They were rather convincing. I suspect this is what you meant by training me. Their hisses and cute almost-purring sounds are just hard to resist.

You have reminded me that I need to name the ducks. Does anyone have suggestions?!
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-27 at 10.10.27.jpeg

It took me a while and my friend Google came up empty-handed, but my other friend Amazonia now wants to sell me »Wühlmausdraht«, »Schweissgittermatten«, »Volierendraht« and »Kaninchendraht«… But that stuff is even more expensive in Germany than here! :mad:
Yes, you're right. We ended up buying stuff (see picture, we got the stuff at the top) at the Raiffeissen shop. Do you think this would keep Weasles (Marder) out? Do I have to dig it into the ground a bit in case the predators like to dig?
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-27 at 12.01.26.jpeg

If you don't have Raccoons over there in St. Augustin consider yourself lucky!!!
They are a menace and the arch enemy of ducks and chickens. People her in WV call them trash-pandas. We had to buy a raccoon proof trash-can, they plundered our standard trash-can (with a hinged lid!) twice and it was such a "joy" to hunt down our trash from the side of the road… And i have already lost three ducks to them. They are clever enough to open simple latches or lock-bolts, so i have a latch, secured with a carabiner - even i am struggling to open it...
Well, I guess I might have spoken too soon. Upon further inspection, it appears that the trash pandas or "Waschbaeren" were brought to Germany in the 1930s for their fur but escaped and are now so prolific that they are hunted all year round with over 12,000 animals in this state, NRW, alone. So, @WannaBeHillBilly, I guess the correct answer is, "we dont have them here...yet". Speaking of garbage, we had a disturbing scene (involving tampons, chick-poop filled newspaper, and other general disgusting garbage that is meant to go into bags and never be seen again) in front of my house a month ago, which I also had to collect in full 9pm daylight as relaxed passerby had their evening walks. A bag was peeking out from the lid when I took the garbage out, which has never been an issue before. When I saw this vomit-inducing display from my window just within an hour of putting the bin outside, I was almost too embarrassed to go out and clean it up:oops:. I suspected that it must have been some kind of flying birds. Now, after considering my childhood with raccoons in PA and the idea that they are indeed in NRW, I'm very concerned thinking that there could be raccoons in my neighborhood, or maybe even already were!:barnie I dont think the plastic German garbage bins will be any defense to raccoons. More importantly though, if they like chickens and ducks...do you think that the metal cloth I bought, hopefully like the one that you and @Miss Lydia recommended, will be enough for raccoons?!

If anyone wants to read the article in German (or translate it in Google Translate) about how raccoons are ruining/limiting the wine industry, https://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.d...nplage-in-den-beueler-weinbergen_aid-43748885

I am pretty sure you already have Trash-Pandas i n your area. In 2005 we had a 'coon running through our yard in Brühl.
Here it is pretty easy: Trap or air-rifle, just three days ago i shot one out of the window of the living room. He tried to break into the storage shed where i just bunkered 12 bags of the finest duck-pellets. One loud "Pfffftt!" and he dropped dead to the ground and joint my soil improvement program.
Chicken wire, that hexagonal-mesh stuff is no match for raccoons. They can tear through it if they want to. Hardware cloth is the stuff with the square meshes where each and every wire-crossing is welded, so the wires can't be moved.
And yet (shame on me! 😳) no raccoon has made it into my duck house by tearing through the chicken wire. They would have to climb up ~1.5 meters, hang on the chicken wire and then tear through. It seems they can't do that so easy, so they focus on easier to reach food in the compost (No honey, no food in to the compost...) or the neighbors trash-cans...
I just can't cough up over $200 to buy the ¼ inch hardware cloth that is necessary to keep the raccoons and weasels out. Yes, hardware cloth is safe, even against foxes, dogs, coyotes, Lynx and bobcat (fortunately you don't have those in DE!) when it is attached to the wood correctly. No staples! Nails or screws with metal washers!
Bears, Wolf and cougar are another story, however.
During last year's fall we had a massive raccoon problem here, some nights there were up to six bandits trespassing and i ended up connecting a neon-transformer to the chicken wire at the duck-house, carefully making sure that the ducks could not touch it from the inside. 5000 Volts 0.5 Amps, lot's of buzzing and screaming during those nights. No raccoon actually died, but there was lot's of evidence that they have burned their hands and fur.
For the yard itself, an electric fence might be a good investments if your duckies decide not to fly up ans sit on the roof of your house just for fun. Such a fence would also protect your chickens.

Its kind of funny: The town's people in the U.S. think raccoons and squirrels are cuuuute! Around here, both are a pest!

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. We ended up buying stuff (see picture, we got the stuff at the top) at the Raiffeissen shop. Do you think this would keep Weasles (Marder) out? Do I have to dig it into the ground a bit in case the predators like to dig?View attachment 2216396
I would go with the zinc plated stuff, that green stuff might be plastic mesh only. They sell this here too as Poly-Hardware-Cloth. BS-Name!!! It is even weaker than chicken wire. And as said: No staples! Nails or screws with washers to attach it to the wood.

Mmm..I'm going to try this!!! Maybe in the morning, we should also sing "Alle meine Entchen, schwimmen auf dem See, ...." to really get them in the mood for waking up!

While checking in on byc, I heard something rummaging in the kitchen, almost afraid it could be trash pandas, having just read your post. I found the ducks hoarding over the cat food bowl, acting like they hadn't eaten in months. For days I was blaming the dog for emptying the cat bowl. Im glad that you wrote you use cat food because I was instantly not worried about them somehow getting sick from the cat food..but that stuff is not cheap! The ducks have proven persistent and strong...they have to climb up at least 3 concrete steps and over the terrace door to get in the kitchen! I thought they only did that at night when they wanted to go to sleep...and I often find them waiting for me (see picture). Anyway, just now, I filled up a bucket that I commandeered from the kids' sandbox...added leftover dill, lettuce, and some oats...and I was able to draw them out of the house due to what appeared to be near starvation. Then I had to carry them down the steps, otherwise they dive bomb onto concrete pavers, which always looks dangerous and painful. After we finally got outside, they ate a bit, nibbled on onion greens, and stormed the pellet bucket (luckily still closed). They were rather convincing. I suspect this is what you meant by training me. Their hisses and cute almost-purring sounds are just hard to resist.

You have reminded me that I need to name the ducks. Does anyone have suggestions?!View attachment 2216395
My Ducks have to earn their names: Ok Pompom was easy, she is wearing one on her head, so was Pommes Duck, her crest looks like small pommes-fritte sticking out of her head. Then there is Blanca, one of the White Layers, Earthquack who jumps full speed into the pool causing ducknamis and Bazilla Duck who had an infected foot last year, so she was called »Bazillenmutterschiff« (Oh boy, mothership of bacteria, bacteria are sometimes called Bazillen in German), just short Bazilla. This years Momma duck was given the name Pinball because during her broodieness she ran around in the yard like a pinball, running over the other ducks and bouncing off the drakes, the neighbors grand-daughter came up with the name. Curiosity Duck is a very curious duck, Katharina reminds me to a russian nurse, once caring for me after surgery and there is Nona, short for No-Name because we just could not find a name for her. In retrospective Alberta would have been better, because she is the Einstein of the flock. Mini Duck is named after a one of @Magnolia Ducks ducks and Limpy Drake, well he has a bad leg and is limping. Then there is Erpelchen who was such a sweet drakeling and is now a full blown sex-offender, the drakes i got from my neighbors last winter, Pomponell (Romanian Version of Pompom), Spot (black spot on his white chest) and Brownie, for his beautiful brown feathers.
Newest addition of names is Smaug - another duck that went broody this year and was defending the nest so viciously that she reminded me to the dragon of "Bored of the rings" (or so). She was hissing, puffing, growling and even bit me. Fortunately she did not develop the ability to spit fire. All that straw in the duck house…
Just wait and let their names emerge from their personalities. And they will have a personality! All ducks have one.

Back
Top Bottom