Am I really a Muscovy?

Quote:
i would say no. i have two scovy ducklings that are 2 months old and my dad has 9 and none of them looked like that when they started getting their feathers, none have yellow feet either. wonder what she is
hu.gif

I don't think mule ducks quack... but i could be wrong, i have only had a few and they were quiet like my muscovies. And sorry about the eye thing, i missed that tib bit there at the bottom!

Last edited:
Quote:
No problem.
big_smile.png

She/he does not make any quacking type noise. Hmmm. I'm going to hope for rouen.

it's not a purebred rouen. it kind of looks like some of the pekin/rouen crosses we've had though

I definitely see Muscovy, but it could be a mule. In some of the photos of mules that I've seen, the tail is short like yours. But, the head and legs say Muscovy to me.

If "she" is not a Muscovy, but something more like a Rouen cross, a female would definitely quack when you pick her up and a male would be making the quieter, raspy sound that boys make. She's got some feet on her! I'm not familiar enough about Muscovies to know, to me she looks like a Rouen cross, but could be a mule. Certainly cute.
smile.png

Quote:
2X. Not a Muscovy but possibly a mix. The legs look Muscovy-ish and the bill is close but missing the 'scoop'. Depending on which way the cross is you may get a duck that lays no eggs or one that can, but they are infertile.

If you cross a Muscovy male with a mallard-type female you will hatch moulards (a large mule duck that is often used as gourmet meat); if you cross a mallard-type male with a Muscovy female the offspring are called hinnies. Males from either cross are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch).

one of my Muscovy about 3 weeks... note the 'scoop' at the end of the bill:
20110512_1254.JPG

Here's a shot of the same bird showing the giant pterodactyl paw:
20110507_1111.JPG

Either way, you'll have a really nice duck. The Muscovy are very calm and friendly and hopefully that personality trait passes on to your baby
smile.png

Quote:
2X. Not a Muscovy but possibly a mix. The legs look Muscovy-ish and the bill is close but missing the 'scoop'. Depending on which way the cross is you may get a duck that lays no eggs or one that can, but they are infertile.

If you cross a Muscovy male with a mallard-type female you will hatch moulards (a large mule duck that is often used as gourmet meat); if you cross a mallard-type male with a Muscovy female the offspring are called hinnies. Males from either cross are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch).

one of my Muscovy about 3 weeks... note the 'scoop' at the end of the bill:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAgs4/tKlOp264qnY/s640/20110512_1254.JPG

Here's a shot of the same bird showing the giant pterodactyl paw:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAgkk/t-dtqqLehYY/s640/20110507_1111.JPG

Either way, you'll have a really nice duck. The Muscovy are very calm and friendly and hopefully that personality trait passes on to your baby
smile.png

She actually does have the little scoop on the end. It just doesn't look it in the photo. It is not that big but it is there. She is really a good size so maybe a he.
sad.png
Hope not though. I already have 3 muscovy drakes, 1 female and 1 that I'm not 100% sure about yet. Its a bit bigger than the female but not as big as the boys. This part of Muscovy is not as easy as my runners were. With them, at least I knew who was what, no guessing games.

Back
Top Bottom