am I *REALLY* a rhode island red? pictures

It's a cutie pie Red SL (IE cinnamon queen, gold comet, etc)

Their primary feathers always come in white, but don't worry. If you got her from a hatchery, then she's a guarenteed girl. The only time you end up with a male that looks like that is when people buy from someone who is clueless about hybrids. SLs are not a breed, and you cannot breed an SL with an SL and end up with an SL. They're a one time cross.

Here's a pic of mine feathering in:

80950_p2270338.jpg

Quote:
its the wrong color for a red star

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/aft319.JPG

I have never ever seen red sex link chicks that look like the pics you linked to. The OP's bird looks like some of the red sex links I've seen, but I've also seen some where the body was yellow and the girls had red heads. I've never seen chipmunk red sexlinks with that much brown. All of the ones I've seen are yellow, and the girls have some red, blotches or stripes. I agree with Fred who said that all we can say for now is that it will be a red bird when it grows up.

Quote:
I am new to chickens and we got ours at swap. I have one that I was told as a RIR but she looks A LOT like you Gold Comet.... Is a Gold Comet a cross? Is there any way to tell for sure whether I have a RIR or a Gold Comet?

TIA

A red sex link (and BTW, there are many, many mixes and they go by many different hatchery made up "names"), end up as reddish rusty orange with lots of white tips, patches, etc. They are indeed a hybrid of a Red roo bird over a white (silver) hen bird. They look like this, basically, while some have more or less red, blonde, strawberry and white with white feathers in the tail. A RIR grow up to be AT LEAST this dark, with the better bred RIR even much darker, crimson, almost blackish in color, with dark feathers in the tail.
Compare these two birds. The first is a sex link while the second is slightly better than average, but by no means SOP Rhodie.

69833_dscf3218.jpg

69833_dscf0063.jpg

Fred's Hens :

Quote:
I am new to chickens and we got ours at swap. I have one that I was told as a RIR but she looks A LOT like you Gold Comet.... Is a Gold Comet a cross? Is there any way to tell for sure whether I have a RIR or a Gold Comet?

TIA

A red sex link (and BTW, there are many, many mixes and they go by many different hatchery made up "names"), end up as reddish rusty orange with lots of white tips, patches, etc. They are indeed a hybrid of a Red roo bird over a white (silver) hen bird. They look like this, basically, while some have more or less red, blonde, strawberry and white with white feathers in the tail. A RIR grow up to be AT LEAST this dark, with the better bred RIR even much darker, crimson, almost blackish in color, with dark feathers in the tail.
Compare these two birds. The first is a sex link while the second is slightly better than average, but by no means SOP Rhodie.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69833_dscf3218.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69833_dscf0063.jpg

Thanks for all the info. She looks like the first pic although she is younger and not quite so fluffy. She has a body structure more like the bird in the second picture.

Back
Top Bottom