Am I REALLY an EE?

not a wellie, wrong color legs. i vote PR
smile.png

What color earlobes does it have? If the earlobes are red, it is not a Leghorn.

Welsummers do have yellow legs - here's a pic of mine at 11 weeks:

11weeksold0113.jpg

And this week at about 8-9 months (same Welsummer -- her legs faded after laying for awhile)

Chickens-adults005.jpg

and here's a young Partrige Plymouth Rock:

eggsandchicks011.jpg

Last edited:
She has red earlobes. I'm more confused than when I started.

My understanding is that they lay the color eggs of their lobes. So, she should lay brown eggs, right? However, this doesn't hold true for EEs or other blue egg gene chickens? (Although there is a picture in this forum of a chicken with green ear lobes.) I'd actually rather she laid brown as I have two who are definite EEs and two Americaunas coming and only 1 other? brown layer.

All the EE's I have ever seen have had grey/blue/green legs. From what I've been told, an EE has to have the blue-egg gene to be considered an EE, and that gene is always passed with the leg color gene because they are so close to each other on the DNA chain.

But I am often mistaken
smile.png

Quote:
Okay - that elimates the possibility of a Brown Leghorn. My first hunch when I saw the first photo was a Welsummer, but it would help to have a close-up photo of her (side view and also one including her face). Easter Eggers can have yellow legs (but uncommon), they can be clean-faced (no beard), but since she is both clean faced and has bright yellow legs, plus the coloring of a Partridge Plymouth Rock or a Welsummer, I'd guess her to be one of those 2 breeds.

Try posting a couple more pics (close-up side view and one that includes the side of her face) and maybe we can pinpoint her breed for you.

Back
Top Bottom