Am I strange to want to find a rooster a home?

You are not strange at all....I love my girls but wow do I adore my boys. I try very very hard to find them a good home when I must rehome someone, which is not often and which explains my having 9, 2 more coming to live here and several little ones I suspect are boys and one that showed up with his ladies running around the yard. ummmm yeah I find you completely normal for worrying about the little guy.

big_smile.png

I Know What You Mean. I Eat Chicken But Not Mine Either. I Could Not Imagine Doing That. I Love Mine So Much. I Told A Friend Of Mine If Someone Offered Me 500$ For My Chickens I Wouldnt Sell. And Believe Me I Could Really Use The Money But I Love Them More.i Know How You Feel I Am Going To Have To Part With 2 Of The 3 Roos I Have Cause I Only Have 3 Hens. The Roos Were An Accident Were Supposed To Be Hens. But I Have Grown To Love Them. But I Want To Give Them To Someone That Wont Eat,fight Or Keep Them Penned All The Time. Ours Free Range Most Of The Time Unless We Are Going To Be Away For A Good While.

IMO you may not be strange but I find being that concerned about a particular chicken being eaten strange, especially so if you otherwise eat chickens. Millions of chickens get eaten every day. It's the logical thing to do with an unwanted male.

Last edited:
Not strange at all and we have roosters sometimes that are just too pet like and well cool to send to freezer camp so we try to find them a home first. We had a RIR psycho rooster a couple years ago that would attack and hurt anyone in the yard then a friend took it as a pet and it is now sweet as a kitten...
idunno.gif
But often no one wants a roo and they get eaten, but hey that is farming and they are much better than store bought.

No...It's Not Strange At All.....We STILL Miss Our Rooster. I Took a Pic of Him and Posted It At The Local Feed Store and Talked With The Manager. He Actually Advised a Customer and Showed Her The Pic...And He Now Has a Happy Home with 6 Hens!
woot.gif

I got my rooster free when I posted an ad on craigs looking for one.No guarantee things will work out though. I almost got rid of him after a month as he cranked up his crowing,but now we are doing great. Love our roo.
I miss all pets that we rehomed.

Quote:
You're not strange. That is the most common sentiment among chicken owners.
I've had much more success rehoming than I thought I would but it's much easier if a breed in demand.
If however I can't rehome I definitely cook.
Unless your rooster is a Black Penedesenca, Cream Legbar, Quechua, Olmec or something else that's extremely rare and in danger of extinction - eating something you fed well and gave a good life is the best thing you can do.

If one eats grocery store or fast food chicken and avoids the much healthier meat from that which you raised you aren't doing yourself any favors from a health standpoint and one is also contributing to the increasing industrialization of our food supply and all the modern problems that come with it.

Not strange at all. I used to be the very same way until it became extremely hard to rehome them. I then had to make a tough decision, keep them here and deal with major fighting, or cull them myself. I culled.

Back
Top Bottom