Am i taking my eggs out too much?

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
Sorry I know I’ve posted a lot it’s just Its my first time incubating and I really want it to work. Three times each day, I take the lid off the incubator, remove the eggs to add more water, and then put the eggs back in the other way round (as I read they need to be turned a minimum of 3 times a day). Each time I do this it take no longer than 1 minute. I’m not very knowledged and was wondering if this is too long for the eggs to be out?

A broody would leave them for 30 mins at a time to go do her self-care rounds, so 1 minute is nothing, even if it takes your brooder a bit if time to get back up to temp.

Did you give them a weigh-in before you started so you can track their water loss and are these shipped eggs? Shipped eggs tend to need a bit if extra tlc - depending on the air cell, you may need to 'avoid' turning them, or only make 'very small' adjustments first the first 7-10 days to support a damaged air sack.

If not shipped, they could even be turned 'more' often. A broody would be at it constantly.

Since is your first time, I'd recommend candling every 4 days to track their growth if you weren't planning to. It's fascinating and a great way to identify problem eggs early on.

I've always used a broody, but will be jumping on the incubator bandwagon soon and have deep-dived a lot of research as my eggs have not been cheap.

A broody would leave them for 30 mins at a time to go do her self-care rounds, so 1 minute is nothing, even if it takes your brooder a bit if time to get back up to temp.

Did you give them a weigh-in before you started so you can track their water loss and are these shipped eggs? Shipped eggs tend to need a bit if extra tlc - depending on the air cell, you may need to 'avoid' turning them, or only make 'very small' adjustments first the first 7-10 days to support a damaged air sack.

If not shipped, they could even be turned 'more' often. A broody would be at it constantly.

Since is your first time, I'd recommend candling every 4 days to track their growth if you weren't planning to. It's fascinating and a great way to identify problem eggs early on.

I've always used a broody, but will be jumping on the incubator bandwagon soon and have deep-dived a lot of research as my eggs have not been cheap.
Thanks so much for your advice. The eggs are straight from my backyard chicken flock, freshly laid 😁

Back
Top Bottom