Am I the only one obsessed with miniature cows????

Quote:
OHHHH YOU DID NOT JUST!

I don't have a farm yet! THE CUTENESS IS JUST NOT FAIR!
lol.png

Quote:
Yes, but you won't get near as much milk as you would from a dairy breed.

I REALLY like my cows. I've never had or seen a miniature, but I own 17 full-size cows and calves. One of them is a registered Black Angus cow and her registerable heifer calf. The rest are mixed breeds of Black Angus, Texas Longhorn, Saler, Braunvieh, Gelbvieh, Santa Gertrudis, and Hereford.
Here's my special pet, "Purdy," posing in a winter hat.
love.gif
She's a Black Angus x Texas Longhorn.
48412_liesls_pics_093.jpg

And here she is with her first calf, "Jasmine." She's only a few hours old in the photo (Purdy calved her without assistance at 3am, and I had to wait until dawn to take photos
smile.png
).
48412_liesls_pics_256.jpg

I've also been milking my Jersey cow Jenny, but just dried her up two days ago in preparation for calving in late September!
wee.gif

Katy, what breed(s) of cattle do you run?
big_smile.png

Quote:
absolutely!

I don't need a lot of milk! I don't even like milk! I could handle like 1-2 gallons though!

A miniature Hereford would probably give about 1 pint per milking, twice a day. So total per day is about 1 quart milk. **This is my educated guess.** Among our full-size cattle, our Jerseys give about 6-7 GALLONS/day after "freshening" (calving). The Herefords give about 3 QUARTS/day.

I love this thread. I have been looking into getting a mini jersey to milk. They are just so hard to find plus expense. I have heard of other mini dairy breeders but they seem harder to find. So, right now I am looking for a smaller jersey that I can AI to a mini jersey bull. I use to show Milking Shorthorns. They are great cows just bigger than what I want right now.

Quote:
absolutely!

I don't need a lot of milk! I don't even like milk! I could handle like 1-2 gallons though!

A miniature Hereford would probably give about 1 pint per milking, twice a day. So total per day is about 1 quart milk. **This is my educated guess.** Among our full-size cattle, our Jerseys give about 6-7 GALLONS/day after "freshening" (calving). The Herefords give about 3 QUARTS/day.

Hmm. I really don't want much milk, but whats the point with just 1 quart or so. I think I will stick to Dexters. I may not be allowed to get a cow anyway!
I was going to name her Bertha or Andromeda. What an awesome name for a cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or: Artemis, Victoria, etc.

Quote:
We raised Simmentals for years, but several years ago switched over to Angus bulls so now our cows are simmental/angus crosses. I like your longhorn cross .....I used to have several longhorn cross cows.

Back
Top Bottom