Am i the only one who has never ate a homegrown chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chicken_Addict, May 2, 2007.

1. Chicken_Addict

Chicken_Addict Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Kellyville Oklahoma
    i honestly dont think i could eat one of my babies am i the only one who feels this way? lmao i know im a sap [​IMG]

2. tennessee_chicken_lover

tennessee_chicken_lover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    East Tennesse
    I Love Home Raised Chickens, They Taste Better than Store Bought Chicken!!!!

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I find the idea great because my chickens live healthy happy lives but I can't bring myself to do it. They're my pets!

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Get a home grown chicken from some one else and you will not be able to mistake the difference in taste and overall quality!

5. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    If I buy chickens for pets, no I couldn't do it. But if I buy chickens specifically for meat and I don't name them and someone else does the killing, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I have eaten home grown chickens before. My parents raised chickens and I can remember helping to butcher them when I was younger.

6. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    there is no way I could eat one of my babies, they are the reason I went vegan.

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Nope, you're not the only one...I have never eaten a homegrown chicken, either--but I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat store-bought ones, either! [​IMG]

That said, I'm perfectly OK with the idea of others eating their own homegrown chickens. Homegrown chickens are raised much more ethically and are much more healthy than factory-farmed birds....so for those of you who raise your own meat birds, more power to you! I think so many people are out of touch with where their food comes from (be it chickens, beef, veggies, whatever) that I think it's wonderful when anyone grows their own food and really connects themselves to where their food is coming from. For us, though, we're perfectly happy with the eggs our hens provide us...no meat necessary here! [​IMG]

8. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    I have never ate a homegrown chicken either. That will probably will not be for long, though, because we are going to have to reduce the size of our small flock (by about 4 or so).

I'm interested to see how different they taste from store bought chicken. It'll be a little weird I think at first b/c we will have raised them from chickhood.

Is the difference really that great? How exactly do they taste different?

9. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    I couldn't bring myself to bucher them and even if I could.. it's too much work to do all the plucking and the blah blah blah... I'm kind of a lazy cook anyway. LOL. But the idea is neat.. if only my fiance was a farmer. [​IMG]

10. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My wife and I don't name our chickens and they are not pets. They are spoiled when you consider the way they are raised and in comparison to commercial chickens and live a very good life. My wife doesn't like store bought chickens she always tells me too much fat and the bone is not hard, plus who knows what additives are added to their feed and the horrendous way they are raised. My wife early on worked at a processing plant for about 3 months then got a job as a food inspector shipping food all over the world. She has no problems and I enjoy watching her technique, which I had never seen before which is very effective and humane.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by