Am I the only one who's drakes have become Meglomaniacs?

Choose the correct answer:

• Drakes have a mental breakdown before breeding season and go insane until summertime...

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Or Drakes act normal. Do not choose this one.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Ducks and Banny hens

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
On a little Farm.
It's very... interesting... to watch one of my 7.5 pound Swede drakes chase down and nail one of my 13 lb. Bessie drakes and have him do nothing in defense while little mister Swede does all the mating. It's also interesting to note that my larger 8 lb. Swede drake will not let my BO hen out of his site - to the point where he circles her constantly. And I felt so sorry for my Rouen Claire hen when two Swedes and a Bessie were literally trying to mate with her all at once! That was hilarious! Er, I mean, I felt sorry for her. Does anyone else notice that it's breeding season?

(P.S. two Ducks are laying eggs - a Rouen and a Bessie)

I know, their behaviour is distinctly obnoxious and lustful. But it's entertaining to watch their antics. I hear Mallards and Spotteds have the most... interesting... spring fever of all the breeds. I can tell you Muscovies have all the mallard breeds licked in mating behaviour.
roll.png

I have 1 drake to 10 girl ducks, and my drake is acts normal...He is very mild mannered. Between the ratio and my gander there are very few problems. My gander protects the girls whether goose or duck.

pop.gif
I have a large Saxony drake , that kept getting over the fence where the Hookbills and Shetland geese are, then the Hookbill drakes chase him around till he hides in a corner. I finally cut one wing,thinking he was flying over. But today I found a hole in the chickenwire divider!!!! Now he was leaving one other Saxony drake he doesn't fight with and 7 lovely Saxony Girls...go figure.

pop.gif
I have a large Saxony drake , that kept getting over the fence where the Hookbills and Shetland geese are, then the Hookbill drakes chase him around till he hides in a corner. I finally cut one wing,thinking he was flying over. But today I found a hole in the chickenwire divider!!!! Now he was leaving one other Saxony drake he doesn't fight with and 7 lovely Saxony Girls...go figure.

The grass is always greener on the other side. if you get my drift.
wink.png

Yeah, I've noticed one of my Bessie girls is the target of the century. So all of my drakes (except for one of the Bessies, whose name is Cull) are after her, while they could just as easily pick a Skinny BO hen, or a Beautiful Rouen hen, or a Rust Swede hen, but no, everybody has to go after the one that's laying eggs. I certainly will have to make a 3 week sperm cushion when I start seriously breeding my ducks... if I don't, I'll just end up with a bunch of mutts. Oh, and one of my setting hens is detirmined to hatch two duck eggs. She is going to be hard to breed this year...

Back
Top Bottom