Am I the only one?

naturababe

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Who feels like we have been slogging along at coop building forever? It's been about two months and we are still not done with the actual coop, much less a run. How does everyone else get their coops ready so fast? I wonder is it because my kids are not old enough to really help (5 and 1.5), because my husband works long hours during the week so we are building weekends only, we are handy but not carpenters so we kind of muddle through, we bit off more then we could chew, my 1.5 year old is crazy (in a good way but still), did i mention biting off more then I could chew already? Anyway, is there anyone else who has had a really long, long, long building process?

I totally hear you! I am in the process of 'finishing' my coop and its stressing me out cause my Austrolorps are getting bigger and bigger and my garage is stinky. We have a 18month old boy so my wife looks after him whilst I swear and sweat out the back. I hope to put on the walls and cladding tonight. Biting of more than I can chew is an understatement, between my wife, baby, vege gardens, friends, finding time for surfing, work etc I am a bit overwhelmed!!
lol.png

But, I can wait to see my chickens scratching around and doing chicken things.
Dont give up - you'll get there.
All the best
Adrian:D

Yep, 3 years!! Really LONG time!! But their was a major back surgery in between all that & such!! Now it's trying to find the time to add more to the run!!
smile.png
It never ends!!

Missi

I thought I'd be done in a week of spare time. Took a month (I think)......thought it would never end. And it took all my spare time. Just keep nailing and cutting.

You'd be surprised, at what "little" help a 5 year old can & will give...let alone the memories your provide your child with...my 7 y/o still remembers & reminds me every year 'bout when I let him help me work on my shed...
big_smile.png

I thought I'd be done in a week of spare time. Took a month (I think)......thought it would never end. And it took all my spare time. Just keep nailing and cutting.

It always takes me longer than planned. Don't give up you can do it, one step at a time! Good Luck!

I only have one kid, and my husband and I still got very little done (on anything) till he turned 5 1/2yrs. I think you are doing well! Just know it gets easier as they (the kids) get older.

Quote:
Spent 3 years on mine (See my BYC page) spent a year reading and planning, next year planted the Illinois everybearing mulberry trees and digging out the footing and laying up a double layer of salvage bricks. Third year to build the coop with as much salvaged material as possible, windows and some lumber. I had read in Mother Earth News an article about long lasting buildings and incorporated those design features. Ordered Chicks the fourth year and finished off the original run while the juveniles were still in the coop getting their feathers. After 15 years in use, extended the run and planted more "chicken food" trees plus fenced off my garden with a chicken gate to let the chickens into the garden in the fall/winter to clean and till and fertilize it. (Should of done that years ago--works great)

Good morning !

We just started our coop about a week ago so hopefully it won't take forever.
tongue.png

The heat here in Texas is brutal so we can only work early in the morning and later in the evening. Luckily, our chicks are only a week old today so maybe we have time to finish.

What size coop are you building ? Ours will be 8x16 with a long run attached.

Anyway, good luck to you and have fun with your children. (They grow as fast as chickens ! )
lau.gif

we are working on a bigger coop for our girls with the help from our DS and son in law and our grand daughter who is 19 months old. it is coming along now all 4 walls are done, the nest boxes built part of the roof done it steal needs work with DH having school then having to move the coop (long story) and now having to build a 50 foot long walk way from coop to pen yea it seems to take forever hopefully by the end of this month things will be done I would get your 5 year to help he can hand nails bring boards it will be a great learning experinace for him/her.

Back
Top Bottom