Am I the only pedantic grammar nerd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a forum, this sort of thing happens all the time. People simply don't proofread posts as they might a formal paper, say, for school. And that's fine; forums are a little less formal way of communicating. For people who have trouble with things like their/they're/there, errors may occur because they don't take the time to ensure they have chosen the correct one. And I have now started two sentences with "and."
wink.png
Certainly unacceptable in formal writing, but (I feel) acceptable in this kind of informal exchange.

I notice these things but don't comment, either in conversation or on a forum. In more extreme cases, I may even choose to skip over a post.

What can cause trouble, though, is correcting others, particularly in a setting like a web forum.

I edit all of my memos at work. Sometimes I edit the signs I see on the wall.....

Last week, we were given a new handwash station with a turnstile. The instructions above called it a "turn style". So I wrote it correctly on a Post-It and covered the wrong language. It was removed the next day, but then a sticker appeared over the "turn style" portion of the sign, spelling it correctly. Sad, but that's one of my proudest moments at work.

Spend enough time and you learn to ignore it....at least to a point.
I have an acquaintance that uses granite instead of granted, A LOT...still not sure if I visually cringe
hide.gif

The only ones I take time to correct are my children... and sometimes my parents. Sorry, acrost is not a word...it is across
duc.gif

Last edited:
I live in the South, so proper grammar is not even an option. I just make a quick mental note (mostly to remind myself it is not correct) and go on. Improper grammar only really annoys me when news people, ones who get PAID to know how to speak, can't seem to get it right.

Erebus,

Sounds like you and me are a lot alike! (he he- jk, I couldn't help myself:lol:)

Really, I am right there with you. It doesn't usually irk me, but I can't help but edit poor grammar that I hear or read (in my mind). I'm not looking for it, I just can't help but notice. My 11-year-old son is the same way. So is my hubby - he's in the publishing business, so at least he has a good excuse!

Yes, it bothers me when broadcasters get idioms messed up. It happens quite a bit here in New Zealand.

(Sonic screwdrivers are cool - love it! Dr Who is neat, can't say I've watched much of the new stuff though. I think I have clocked up enough nerd points to carry me through to the New Year in this thread.)

Sometimes people are unable to see the forest through the trees.
People tend to focus on trivial details and lose the message something was meant to convey.

Quote:
If you like the old Doctor Who, you will love the new one!!!!! It is awesome, they held true to the spirit of the original show. I have very few "have to watch" shows but, Doctor Who is absolutely at the top of my list, even after they killed off David Tennent!!!!!!
love.gif
You really should rent the DVD's and get caught up, you won't be dissappointed.

Quote:
I even saw the word "waddles" in city code ordinances
roll.png
Another one I see a lot is "skiddish" instead of Skittish....it urks me but I let it pass thinking that might be a "local" thing. Plus I was brought up to use the Queens english not American english so not my place to say anything really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom