Am I the only pedantic grammar nerd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erebus

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
Palmerston North, New Zealand
I seem to be so easily irked and I know that it's my problem and not anyone else's.

My pet peeve of the day is "[such-and-such] and I".

I know it's good manners to list others before yourself and that doesn't bother me, but somehow people forget how to use pronouns the moment they are listing things.

"It belongs to my husband and me."
This is correct because "It belongs to me. It belongs to my husband."

"It belongs to I." :hmm
Nobody says that, so why do they say "It belongs to my husband and I?"

And yet: "Who went to the store?"
"My husband and I did."
That's fine because "I did." works and you'd never say "Me did."

Somebody pat me on the back and tell me "there, there" because if this matters to me so much, then I must live in a sad little world
smile.png

I'm going to go cuddle my babies and kitties now and focus on real things
big_smile.png

Nope, can't pat you and say "there there" because these are pet peeves of mine as well.
smile.png
Just know you are not alone!

As well as

There/their/they're
Where/were/we're
Loose/lose
Your/you're

The list can get quite long! But I do admit, the I vs me is a tough one - I hear it misused in TV shows all the time.

Language is a tool tool communicate with. If you allow yourself to focus excessively on grammar you'll soon find yourself no longer communicating in any meaningful fashion.

That one doesn't bother me anywhere near as much double negative.

I don't have nuthin - I didn't do nuthin

It can be frustrating speaking to people when anything isn't in their vocabulary.

I try to ignore and I look at content and intent rather than spelling.
The number of times I have seen the word "waddles" rather than "wattles" could do my head in, but I figure these people know more about the chickens than me so I'm not going to fuss with what they want to call stuff
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

A.T. Hagan :

Language is a tool tool communicate with. If you allow yourself to focus excessively on grammar you'll soon find yourself no longer communicating in any meaningful fashion.​

Me thinks a we bit of OCD
smile.png
I hear you, it is rather lazy of me because I type worse than I speak. I understand the need for proper grammar... and spelling.

One of mine is "I seen the truck." I just cringe!

Hubby also says "that dish needs washed," or "the room needs painted."

Quote:

Yep I hear you. I also have to remind myself that unless someone is writing formally and they are still writing intelligibly then what they have to say is a lot more important than how they say it.

Every now and then I think my tendency to obsess over little details does me a disservice.

Also, I have to remember that if I talk in big words and the rest of the world will not understand me. I figured that out the hard way when I was working in a place with lots of speakers of "English as a Foreign Language". It's kind of like software compliance - some features are not supported by some applications.

I'll go be a nerd somewhere else now
tongue.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom