Am I a bad mom

I just took some pictures, I used my hand for a size comparison.

The coop has some notches where I can put something, I’m guessing that’s where the roost is supposed to go.

I don’t know what age to put in nesting boxes, so I don’t have them yet. The front section (white half) has slits in the sides of the board, my chicks could get their legs caught in it. I don’t know how to fix that issue.

I have a picture of the whole run, the sides of the run, the makeshift roosting bars, and the coop. I made sure to add a picture of the entrance. I think it’s the 9, 10, and 11th photos. Please share suggestions.
Coop is probably too small for 5 and way underventilated for a hot climate. Can you get exact measurements or a link to the product showing measurements?

Also more photos from different angles further back like on photo 8, in daylight, since it's hard to assess what the whole set up looks like otherwise.

Confused about the nest boxes, you said you didn't put them in but they're attached, so there's nothing to install. You have the nest propped open in photo 8.

For the time being, do NOT allow them to roost overnight in the run. You will need to manually place them in the coop at night each night for the time being.

Your run is not predator proof and can be accessed by rats, snakes, raccoons. To fully predator proof you will want to cover any opening greater than 1/2" with 1/2" width hardware cloth or welded wire, as well as apron out the wire 18-24" out from the run wall - if that's not in the budget you will need to make sure the chickens are securely locked in the coop at night at the very least.

Do NOT lock them inside the coop to home them to it, while that works with the right setup your coop is not big enough and lacks ventilation and natural light needed to safely do so.

My advice is to address multiple concerns with a single fix (small size, lack of ventilation, lack of access ramp/ladder, slits on floor): convert the mini coop/mini run into a larger coop.

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

I also recommend converting the small coop with run you were given into a coop. It will make things a lot better for them and easier for you.

If you decide to try this route please feel free to ask lots of questions as there are tons of great people on here willing to help talk you through doing it.

Remember it doesn't have to be gorgeous it just has to be functional.

Coop is probably too small for 5 and way underventilated for a hot climate. Can you get exact measurements or a link to the product showing measurements?

Also more photos from different angles further back like on photo 8, in daylight, since it's hard to assess what the whole set up looks like otherwise.

Confused about the nest boxes, you said you didn't put them in but they're attached, so there's nothing to install. You have the nest propped open in photo 8.

For the time being, do NOT allow them to roost overnight in the run. You will need to manually place them in the coop at night each night for the time being.

Your run is not predator proof and can be accessed by rats, snakes, raccoons. To fully predator proof you will want to cover any opening greater than 1/2" with 1/2" width hardware cloth or welded wire, as well as apron out the wire 18-24" out from the run wall - if that's not in the budget you will need to make sure the chickens are securely locked in the coop at night at the very least.

Do NOT lock them inside the coop to home them to it, while that works with the right setup your coop is not big enough and lacks ventilation and natural light needed to safely do so.

My advice is to address multiple concerns with a single fix (small size, lack of ventilation, lack of access ramp/ladder, slits on floor): convert the mini coop/mini run into a larger coop.

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/
I think i'm just going to get a new coop. The coop is in horrible condition, not waterproof, and I can't access it easily. If anyone knows of a good coop that is affordable, please let me know.

I think i'm just going to get a new coop. The coop is in horrible condition, not waterproof, and I can't access it easily. If anyone knows of a good coop that is affordable, please let me know.
I would look on Marketplace or Craig's list for your area. As you know, stay away from prefabs no matter how nice someone says they are.

If you happen to need a shed, a lot of folks, us included, bought a shed and then built a coop at one end, but many just bought a shed and put vents, roosts, and nest boxes in it and made a chicken door.

Also, you could ask in your Arizona forum on here and maybe someone can help you in there to find one.

I think you'll find one, one way or the other! Good luck!

Best of luck - the fact that it's difficult to access would be the deciding factor for me, because I struggled with a prefab coop for 2 years before getting a shed. My coop was fine for what it was, but hard on my back when it came to maintenance.

Shed kits and hoop coops are the best bang for your buck options, but both will require a bit of construction or a handyman to do it for you.

Update.

My chicks are all grown up now! My girls sleep IN THEIR COOP, and lay eggs every day. They love to play in the grass, and are super happy.

We weren’t able to get a bigger run, but they are let out in the yard daily. We ended up making a ladder that fit, and the hens figured out how to use it. I put them on a different feed, it’s a mixture of layer and flock feed. Getting them back in the run is easy now. They love dried mealworms, and when I shake the bag they run to me.

Thank you all for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom