Am I a bad mom

Oct 11, 2023
Arizona
*This is my first time having chickens*
I got currently have 5 chickens. They are 9 and 8 week old chicks, who are outside.

A few weeks ago, I found a coop and got it. The friend who gave it to me didn’t give the ladder, so they have no ladder to get up to the laying section. I am still trying to figure that out. We also don’t have a roost for them up there because it didn’t come with one, and there is no room for one. It’s smaller than I would like it to be. I added 3 wood hiking sticks through the runs bars so they can roost somewhere and play. The coop is connected to the run in a funny way, so the ladder would have to have an added on portion so they can get in, let alone get up. My dad tried built me a ladder, but it didn’t work. I tried putting it in and they were scared to go near it. I can’t find the ladder sold separately, so for now they don’t have one. They are getting bigger everyday, and I want them to sleep in the coop instead of the run because they are more likely to get hurt by animals, and it’s colder. They like to sleep underneath the roost bars I added. I don’t want to block the run section off because I did that once and the thing I used fell and killed one of them. That also happens to be the only chicken that has died. A perfectly healthy 7 week old hen. Not a sick chick that died of some illness. She died because of my ignorance. Anyway, I don’t know how to get them in the coop at night. They can’t go into the coop because I don’t have a ladder, but I at least want them in the space underneath the actual coop for practice. Everyone told me they do it naturally, but mine don’t do that. I don’t know if they are too young, or if I’m just overthinking, or if it’s normal at their age.

They are on chick starter still, and I don’t know when or how to switch. Do I mix it in half and half like for dogs, or can I just switch it. I know you can’t do that for dogs but these are chickens, so it might be different. I have grit, but I haven’t given it to them because they have dirt and rocks in their run. I’m getting mixed reviews on if I should have shouldn't give it to them.

The floor of their run is dirt. There is no bedding. I heard that was okay because free range chickens don’t have bedding, but mine are not free range so I’m still doing research.

They try to run out to the grass whenever I enter the run. I let them out to eat grass and explore once, and they loved it. Ever since, they try to get out to eat the grass. In the morning, I don’t have time to chase chickens around the back yard. I also don’t know how to capture them once they get out. I kind of just make screeching sounds to scare them back into the run, but there has to be a better way. Half the time it doesn’t even work. They don’t know what treats are because I haven’t given them anything but their chick starter, as per the internet says. So they are not food motivated. I can’t have them alone in the yard because we have a dog and it’s not secure (we have a gate they can squeeze under, and a pool) If anyone knows a better way than scare them back in, please let me know.

I want the best for my chickens, and I feel like I’m not giving them that. What I’m giving them is budget. I don’t have the best run, or coop, or food. I care tremendously for my chickens, and they have such intricate personalities. One if them (Baby Girl) can take selfies on my phone, and another (Blondie) loves flipping things upside down. One of the Barnavelders likes to jump super high in the air when I come in, like a dog, and run around. They always go rushing to the door of the run when i get home and say “Hey girls!”.

They seem happy and healthy, but I feel like a bad mom. I feel like what I’m doing isn’t enough.

*This is my first time having chickens*
I got currently have 5 chickens. They are 9 and 8 week old chicks, who are outside.

A few weeks ago, I found a coop and got it. The friend who gave it to me didn’t give the ladder, so they have no ladder to get up to the laying section. I am still trying to figure that out. We also don’t have a roost for them up there because it didn’t come with one, and there is no room for one. It’s smaller than I would like it to be. I added 3 wood hiking sticks through the runs bars so they can roost somewhere and play. The coop is connected to the run in a funny way, so the ladder would have to have an added on portion so they can get in, let alone get up. My dad tried built me a ladder, but it didn’t work. I tried putting it in and they were scared to go near it. I can’t find the ladder sold separately, so for now they don’t have one. They are getting bigger everyday, and I want them to sleep in the coop instead of the run because they are more likely to get hurt by animals, and it’s colder. They like to sleep underneath the roost bars I added. I don’t want to block the run section off because I did that once and the thing I used fell and killed one of them. That also happens to be the only chicken that has died. A perfectly healthy 7 week old hen. Not a sick chick that died of some illness. She died because of my ignorance. Anyway, I don’t know how to get them in the coop at night. They can’t go into the coop because I don’t have a ladder, but I at least want them in the space underneath the actual coop for practice. Everyone told me they do it naturally, but mine don’t do that. I don’t know if they are too young, or if I’m just overthinking, or if it’s normal at their age.

They are on chick starter still, and I don’t know when or how to switch. Do I mix it in half and half like for dogs, or can I just switch it. I know you can’t do that for dogs but these are chickens, so it might be different. I have grit, but I haven’t given it to them because they have dirt and rocks in their run. I’m getting mixed reviews on if I should have shouldn't give it to them.

The floor of their run is dirt. There is no bedding. I heard that was okay because free range chickens don’t have bedding, but mine are not free range so I’m still doing research.

They try to run out to the grass whenever I enter the run. I let them out to eat grass and explore once, and they loved it. Ever since, they try to get out to eat the grass. In the morning, I don’t have time to chase chickens around the back yard. I also don’t know how to capture them once they get out. I kind of just make screeching sounds to scare them back into the run, but there has to be a better way. Half the time it doesn’t even work. They don’t know what treats are because I haven’t given them anything but their chick starter, as per the internet says. So they are not food motivated. I can’t have them alone in the yard because we have a dog and it’s not secure (we have a gate they can squeeze under, and a pool) If anyone knows a better way than scare them back in, please let me know.

I want the best for my chickens, and I feel like I’m not giving them that. What I’m giving them is budget. I don’t have the best run, or coop, or food. I care tremendously for my chickens, and they have such intricate personalities. One if them (Baby Girl) can take selfies on my phone, and another (Blondie) loves flipping things upside down. One of the Barnavelders likes to jump super high in the air when I come in, like a dog, and run around. They always go rushing to the door of the run when i get home and say “Hey girls!”.

They seem happy and healthy, but I feel like a bad mom. I feel like what I’m doing isn’t enough.

We try our best and sometimes our hearts get broken when one dies. It's not on you. We live and learn. You're doing the best you can to make them happy.

To get them in the coop, put the ladder they don't like back and put a light on in the coop. You can use a solar light, or if you have like a USB rechargeable flashlight or lantern. Set whatever you use inside the coop near the door. That should help convince them to go in. You can use a few dried mealworms on the ladder to get them to climb it.

For getting them back from free-ranging, it might be easier if you could start before dusk, as when it starts getting dark, they will go back on their own. Just try to change the timing of it. If you can't change the time, you'll have to work on getting some healthy treats for them and call them. Do that a few times and they should start running when you call them.

I'd keep them on their starter until they start laying eggs, then you can convert them over to layer feed, and yes, you can mix the two when you start out. You don't have to as it's pretty much the same thing, just starter has less calcium and more protein than layer does.

If the floor of their run is dirt, that can be fine unless you live where it's going to be mud for the majority of the time. If not, that's fine. The coop should have bedding in it, not that they bed in the bedding, but it helps for cleaning the poop. Straw, pine shavings, horse bedding pellets, etc. are all fine.

You're doing great. Just keep working with them as you can.

These issues your having roosting bars, ladders whatever it is. If you post some pics we can try to help.

Anything you have laying around in the yard is usable for steps ladders, and roost/perches. Bricks/pavers, rocks, stumps, tree limbs, small tables, chairs, milk crates even card board boxes work for examples. Chickens love to climb and roost on just about anything.

A final thought on roost bars for you. Most of my birds are standard size so they like roosts and perches at least 2- 3 1/2" wide so they can cover their feet. Look for something that wide. When you mount it in the coop try to level it best you can about 14" away from the wall and when they are standing on it you want at least 3-4 inches above their head.

Hope any of this helps you out.

Like said if you let them out to play an hour or two before sunset they'll go in by themselves.
My birds love grapes, corn, peas and blue berries as their favorites. Try what works and they'll come running especially if you use the same container each time, they will recognize it. Pick a word or two to associate them with treats and they will come every time on command. If they don't grab that bowl.

Best of luck

These issues your having roosting bars, ladders whatever it is. If you post some pics we can try to help.
Agree. Please post some pictures and we can give you some directions on where to put those roosting bars and that ladder. Designing and planning out your chicken coop can be soo hard!
I just took some pictures, I used my hand for a size comparison.

The coop has some notches where I can put something, I’m guessing that’s where the roost is supposed to go.

I don’t know what age to put in nesting boxes, so I don’t have them yet. The front section (white half) has slits in the sides of the board, my chicks could get their legs caught in it. I don’t know how to fix that issue.

I have a picture of the whole run, the sides of the run, the makeshift roosting bars, and the coop. I made sure to add a picture of the entrance. I think it’s the 9, 10, and 11th photos. Please share suggestions.

Attachments

• 94FC24B3-8A11-4903-9095-A722D7341DB4.jpeg
    94FC24B3-8A11-4903-9095-A722D7341DB4.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 13
  • D3E11932-FF8D-4756-982C-BDB1194C9AEF.jpeg
    D3E11932-FF8D-4756-982C-BDB1194C9AEF.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 68B3B13A-E8FB-4A60-8B8F-8187A5A9C9EC.jpeg
    68B3B13A-E8FB-4A60-8B8F-8187A5A9C9EC.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 11
  • CFB1D81B-68C6-4705-BD05-4665D338147C.jpeg
    CFB1D81B-68C6-4705-BD05-4665D338147C.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 3F3C2662-A65A-41C0-8539-BF217CAF3CAB.jpeg
    3F3C2662-A65A-41C0-8539-BF217CAF3CAB.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 74EE2550-82EE-47FD-80A6-71DD12B257C0.jpeg
    74EE2550-82EE-47FD-80A6-71DD12B257C0.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ADBEB026-3FD6-4E9A-9092-2546451413BE.jpeg
    ADBEB026-3FD6-4E9A-9092-2546451413BE.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 9122FC05-C296-4DF6-A61C-FE55C0C10D0B.jpeg
    9122FC05-C296-4DF6-A61C-FE55C0C10D0B.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 96B9AFE4-CD3F-4237-9401-4B5CA5E1E756.jpeg
    96B9AFE4-CD3F-4237-9401-4B5CA5E1E756.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 16
  • 52EC9F45-3385-436E-BDD7-B9156BD992DC.png
    52EC9F45-3385-436E-BDD7-B9156BD992DC.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 8E59921D-51B5-4D92-965A-630F622B5518.jpeg
    8E59921D-51B5-4D92-965A-630F622B5518.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 13
  • F12D75BF-646F-4ECF-847D-AFD8CD6009E3.jpeg
    F12D75BF-646F-4ECF-847D-AFD8CD6009E3.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 22F8F020-7997-4FFE-B02C-FF3C1566998B.jpeg
    22F8F020-7997-4FFE-B02C-FF3C1566998B.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 13
  • AF9032FC-7C19-462D-A490-0AF610F62861.jpeg
    AF9032FC-7C19-462D-A490-0AF610F62861.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 13
  • 1FF6FF59-427E-4D24-A92B-B91D521092D3.jpeg
    1FF6FF59-427E-4D24-A92B-B91D521092D3.jpeg
    668.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2EC499B8-F9F8-4E39-847F-11111B9224BB.jpeg
    2EC499B8-F9F8-4E39-847F-11111B9224BB.jpeg
    639.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 80CAEDEB-40C3-4F5F-9D09-F6F0E4D4062A.jpeg
    80CAEDEB-40C3-4F5F-9D09-F6F0E4D4062A.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 12
  • C38681B0-B82D-4A57-9041-E32AB95A1A7D.jpeg
    C38681B0-B82D-4A57-9041-E32AB95A1A7D.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 13
I'm so sorry you lost a chick. Accidents happen and they're so fragile.

For the coop, we had to manually shove ours in for about 2-3 nights and shut the door behind them. They acted traumatized, but settled down pretty quick.

Also, I constantly feel like a bad chicken mom. Totally relatable. We're doing our best and still learning. Unfortunately, someone had to be the practice chickens.

I'm so sorry you lost one I got my girls in April this year and lost one when they were 5 months old, no matter how it happens it's heart breaking. If you put them in the coop for a day or two with food and water they will learn that is home. Just add a roost bar for them. As far as the latter goes put a step stool or a box or something until you can figure it out. When they get ready to start laying you are going to want to add some nesting boxes for them to lay in. Some milk crates or laundry baskets will do fine. Just be sure to add some bedding like pine shavings or straw. I opened their nesting boxes when they were about 4 1/2 months old and put fake eggs in them so when they first explore the nesting boxes and peck at the fake eggs they know they are not food. Also research research and research. Their is soooo much to learn. Like having a first aid kit for your girls. I have had my girls for 8 months now and had one die still not sure from what. Then they got dry fowl pox ugh. One got sick and I gave her epsom salt baths for two days and she was better I think it may have been something she ate. Then one started limping she had bumble foot had to treat she got better pretty quick because I caught it early. Then another started limping and it turned out to be a cut on her toe. Then another got sick and gave her epsom salt baths and poultry cell and kept her in the house in a quiet place for a couple of days and she got better. There are so so many things that they can get sick from so you really should look into what you need to doctor them when something happens that way you are not scrambling to get it. I check on them first thing in the morning to be sure they are all in good shape and acting like themselves which is how you can tell if something is going on with them just like your other pets/animals you know know when they are not acting right and something is wrong. It's definitely a learning process and as time goes on you will be a great fluffy butt mom! Also that is a really small run you may really want to consider making them a bigger one to keep them happy and healthy if you are not gonna let them free range. I hope this is helpful. Best of luck.

The 4 u shaped notches (2 on each wall) are for 2 separate roosts.
I'm gonna guess that notch looks to be an 1 1/2" wide and 3/4" deep. But you need to confirm that. Do you have a tape measure?
Your gonna need a 'tape measure' to measure the length from wall to wall inside that notch. It looks like it's 2' wide, but again you need to be sure.
You don't need to hold your tape off the floor from notch to notch. Just measure along the floor from wall to wall.
Once you have them measurements wrote down go to your local Home Depot, Lowes, Menards whatever your area lumber store is and get your 2 boards you need.
Let's just say for example I'm right and the boards are 3/4" deep x 1 1/2" wide and they are 2' long. What your looking for at the store are 1x2's. Actual size will be the 3/4 x 1 1/2. They will cut it to whatever length you need for the 2 roosts and you are all set.
Put some bedding down on the floor.
You could use anything for a step up into the coop. A bucket? A kids chair? Anything will work there.

If you by chance have to buy a longer 8' board for your 2 roosts you measured. Measure that gap length you have and you could have them cut that out of your leftover piece your buying to fix that. Couple screws to hold it down.

You should be all set. If you have any other questions for me feel free to tag me if I don't respond right away.

Also that is a really small run you may really want to consider making them a bigger one to keep them happy and healthy if you are not gonna let them free range. I hope this is helpful. Best of luck.
I wanted the run to be the whole side of my yard, we paid over $500 for this run. It was the best we could find. That’s another reason I feel like I didn’t do it right.

Back
Top Bottom