Am I the only pedantic grammar nerd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
It's not your job to be their uninvited teacher. And on a forum like this, you could be talking to someone who does have a disability and now you'll just make them feel bad.

I agree with BOTH of you on this, and I also agree with the person who said that most people don‘t speak proper English because they are to lazy to try.
I am an Immigrant from Eastern Europe, and I have been living in this country for many years now.
I have never learned English in school, I learned the “spoken language” on the “run” and I tried to improve my spelling through occasional readings, however the grammar was “left out” from my learning. After so many years I should speak and write a perfect English, but that's far from it. Nine years ago I actually bought a Plain English Handbook so I can learn a proper grammar……but it got forgotten somewhere on my book shelf......and the true is without the book I make the same mistakes over and over again without ever correcting them.
My husband is a well read American born citizen, and I use to ask him all the time to correct me when ever he knew I was wrong. That was the easier way for me to learn grammar, but because I did not made any effort to remember the corrections I always end up repeating the mistakes.
I am the only one to be blame for this. It is not my husband’s or anyone else’s responsibility to teach me speak a correct English, but it is my own. If I wouldn’t be so lazy, and if I would only pick up that book that gathers dust on the shelf…….
You see, I am very aware and conscious when I read what I write and know that it doesn’t “sound” right. It is embarrassing !. I am an adult who writes like a child. To many “I”, past tense used wrong, …..etc.
I'm your best example of a poor grammar.

The problem is that I became too comfortable with my “second hand” English.

Many, many years ago, I had such enthusiasm in learning the language. Growing up in a communist educational system, English was the language of the free World, and I was very excited to learn it. From an outsider English has a musical and pleasant sound to it.
I use to carry a dictionary and a notebook in my pocket and write entire sentences just so I can read them back to those I was trying to communicate with. I use to write words the way I would hear them (in my own language) and then search for their meaning in the dictionary. This is how I learned to speak English. Within only few months I was able to understand and make my self understood tolerably well. Unfortunately, because my English was accepted just about everywhere as it was, I have never made the effort to improve it, and I accepted the “tolerably well” as part of my every day life.

If people don’t raise the standard, and don‘t “push” for improvements we get to comfortable with “half” accomplishments and in the mean time this beautiful language gets butcher by to much slang and people like myself.

If my mother could understand “my” English she would have a heart attack. I was raised in a family with very strict rules of proper grammar, etiquette, and table manners. My mother was a professor and my father was a marine officer. We (the children) had to do everything by the book in a military style. Even now she corrects my posture at the dinner table when she visits, and tells me that is very rude to point with the finger at someone when you talk about that person.

Quote:
It's not your job to be their uninvited teacher. And on a forum like this, you could be talking to someone who does have a disability and now you'll just make them feel bad.

I agree with BOTH of you on this, and I also agree with the person who said that most people don‘t speak proper English because they are to lazy to try.
I am an Immigrant from Eastern Europe, and I have been living in this country for many years now.
I have never learned English in school, I learned the “spoken language” on the “run” and I tried to improve my spelling through occasional readings, however the grammar was “left out” from my learning. After so many years I should speak and write a perfect English, but that's far from it. Nine years ago I actually bought a Plain English Handbook so I can learn a proper grammar……but it got forgotten somewhere on my book shelf......and the true is without the book I make the same mistakes over and over again without ever correcting them.
My husband is a well read American born citizen, and I use to ask him all the time to correct me when ever he knew I was wrong. That was the easier way for me to learn grammar, but because I did not made any effort to remember the corrections I always end up repeating the mistakes.
I am the only one to be blame for this. It is not my husband’s or anyone else’s responsibility to teach me speak a correct English, but it is my own. If I wouldn’t be so lazy, and if I would only pick up that book that gathers dust on the shelf…….
You see, I am very aware and conscious when I read what I write and know that it doesn’t “sound” right. It is embarrassing !. I am an adult who writes like a child. To many “I”, past tense used wrong, …..etc.
I'm your best example of a poor grammar.

The problem is that I became too comfortable with my “second hand” English.

Many, many years ago, I had such enthusiasm in learning the language. Growing up in a communist educational system, English was the language of the free World, and I was very excited to learn it. From an outsider English has a musical and pleasant sound to it.
I use to carry a dictionary and a notebook in my pocket and write entire sentences just so I can read them back to those I was trying to communicate with. I use to write words the way I would hear them (in my own language) and then search for their meaning in the dictionary. This is how I learned to speak English. Within only few months I was able to understand and make my self understood tolerably well. Unfortunately, because my English was accepted just about everywhere as it was, I have never made the effort to improve it, and I accepted the “tolerably well” as part of my every day life.

If people don’t raise the standard, and don‘t “push” for improvements we get to comfortable with “half” accomplishments and in the mean time this beautiful language gets butcher by to much slang and people like myself.

If my mother could understand “my” English she would have a heart attack. I was raised in a family with very strict rules of proper grammar, etiquette, and table manners. My mother was a professor and my father was a marine officer. We (the children) had to do everything by the book in a military style. Even now she corrects my posture at the dinner table when she visits, and tells me that is very rude to point with the finger at someone when you talk about that person.

Wow. I'd say you're certainly good at writing in English, that's for sure! I gotta give you credit. I speak/am learning Indonesian, Tibetan and Japanese. I have an especially hard time with Indonesian, because my father's wife is Indonesian, and I am friends with many of her family and friends on Facebook. They confuse the heck out of me with their shorthand lingo. Here I am trying to learn by watching what they write, and then I get all confused and say things incorrectly. I've asked her, and she says, "Don't pay attention to what they say, none of it is correct". It's also hard to translate much of what they write because they use abbreviations all the time, it's worse than American texting lingo! But when I speak "proper" Indonesian, it comes out way too formal and sounds silly. It's hard enough to learn another language, but then when you factor in expressions, lingo, improper but accepted terminology, etc., it all becomes very difficult. Anyway, I got off track, but I was trying to say good job on the English from what I can see!
smile.png

Teachers still teach for more reasons than a paycheck (I know some very wonderful teaching couples with measly paychecks in stressful situations because they choose to teach in inner-city areas even after any subsidization ends, largely because they are concerned about the impact of education on the lives of others. It does have a very large impact. I have had many teachers stay after to help me overcome my hurdles of switching from an English school to an American one. Things are different 'colours', not 'colors' darnit. There are also those who gave me extra help because they realized I wasn't being "lazy" with my math, but rather needed extra guidance). It is like any profession, from someone in the military to a member of the police force. Some arrive there for monetary reasons, others arrive there for different reasons or a mix of reasons.

Disorders and hurdles are nothing new, but neither is poor grammar. Jane Austen (before her editor stepped in) comes to mind, several presidents, Einstein, cartoon caveman
tongue.png
, and so on. I watch 50's shorts for fun (painful, painful fun), and there is a decade for you where everything was nice and black and white. Grammar is either right or wrong, and how delicious that is. The knowledge you are right. Very comforting. Very similar to those who do not gently guide people through math errors, but instead use that rigid subject as a security rope to whatever end. The theme of laziness was a prevalent one, and I still commonly see it being used as the primary explanation by older generations. Stuttering? Caused by simple "carelessness" of course. The problem is, such views do not get to the root (or many roots) of the issue, and usually just embitter people towards the whole idea of grammar when there (sic.) only real exposure to it is being told they are wrong, annoying, lazy, or less than intelligent. Whether that is true or not, if people are more interested in championing guidelines that help foster better communication rather than being motivated instead by more self-serving causes, gentle education will probably be more effective in places such as the online realm. I do often question the motives of people who get very worked up about either grammar, math, or other subjects because of my personal experiences with the people around me from my encounters in life. My views on the subject may be skewed by them, or they may have some accuracy. I'm not sure. I do know that I repeatedly see people respond better in real life to having someone they have an established relationship with gently walk them through a math or English mistake, where as learning goes out the window when the same people are stressed by confrontation from someone they do not know demanding that the answer is obviously, "34%, and why on Earth didn't can't they figure out a simple thing like that?" I think the general guidelines of this forum apply to real life in that sense. It isn't so much what you say as how you go about saying it.
smile.png

Quote:
Is that really bad grammar? I never knew!
I've been using that phrase for a long time now!

I have never been distracted by a person's poor grammar or spelling. I do, however, have a problem with a person's inability to speak freely.

I work with a lady who will not use words like won't, don't, can't, or wouldn't. She is so hard to listen to when she speaks. Her words always sound short, clipped, and terse. Her grammar is always impeccable. I am sure that there are those who would appreciate listening to her speak. I would love to hear her, just once, let her hair down and stop being so high and mighty. That is precisely how she comes across. I do believe it is deliberate.

I live in the south. The majority of the people I know use the following phrase in their daily language: "I am fixing". This phrase drives my aforementioned co-worker absolutely nuts, and she will correct it every time she hears it said. It is an obsession for her to remove this phrase from southern speaking people.

Do I use proper grammar? Yes, sometimes I do. I use proper grammar when I want to appear forceful or exacting, such as when I am correcting my children or driving home a point in a tense situation. I do not care so much for the use of proper grammar in a casual setting as it makes me look and feel as though someone needs to knock me down off of my high horse.

being a horrific speller and a not so wonderful typist, I prefer to concentrate on the content and context rather than the delivery, especially on a message board, forum, or social site.

Quote:
I started the thread because I realised that me wanting to "correct" other people's posts was my problem and not theirs. It was an attempt for me to let off steam without making rude off-topic posts. I am not very strong when it comes to social grace, so I thought I was doing really well being considerate of feelings by not interjecting when people are being perfectly understandable (and I apologise if this thread has created any ill-will). I have only ever met one person who was so dyslexic that he was completely unintelligible online. Amusingly, he manages to be understood now after 6 years of playing World of Warcraft
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes these all get on my nerves as well as inappropriate use of apostrophes. People need to learn the use of possessive verses plural.

Versus not verses.
tongue.png

Quote:
I'm a home educator. My mum is a school teacher, like her mother, and her grandfather, and her sisters, and in-laws, and my MIL, and her mother and father and step-mother etc. so you could say that I come from an educational/academic family culture. It's not my place to try and impose my cultural values on anyone other than my children, but when I share my opinions I know that it does affect those around me (and their opinion of me).

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the idea but my husband and I are proponents of "natural learning" or "unschooling". Babies start off by approximating their language - "tuk" instead of "truck" or in the case of my 3yr old "ozhrun" instead of "orange". By observing people using the standardised form of language they slowly learn to alter their language to fall in step with those around them. Using "correct" language is a standardised form only. Children don't need to be "taught" "correct" grammar, they just need to hear it often and think that it's valuable to emulate. Schooling attempts to instil social values such as "good grammar is important" , and if kids have a mismatch between their home culture and their school culture they aren't likely to think that learning the "standardised" form of English is valuable enough to put their energy into. I don't think it's a matter of being lazy so much as a values clash. Anyone ever seen that film Idiocracy? "You talk like a fa---"

Plenty of people feel like schools tell them that their normal way of talking is "wrong" and they need to change their culture to join the rest of the "successful modern world". That's why things like Ebonics were invented. I still stand by "correct" spelling is the current standardised form, and varies from place to place. Here in New Zealand we tend to use UK English with a few twists. Language evolves with common usage.

Quote:
In New Zealand we have a bank that was once called Auckland Savings Bank (named after the largest city in NZ). This was shortened to ASB and is now branded ASB Bank.
Our {expletive deleted} bank has officially accepted its redundant acronym!

I know people who routinely enter their PIN number at the ASB Bank ATM machine.
*head desk*

I'm still suprised this thread hasn't been locked yet!

This's like the 10th thread this year about people that have problems about grammer on this site. This forum is a chicken site and not a grammer site.

The last time I said something on this type of thread I had received a threating E-mail from someone. I still have no clue who it was to this day.

The I/me one bugs me quite a bit too. I use the rule you mentioned - Take the other person out of the equation and see if your sentence still makes sense (after adjusting verb plural/singular/or tense). It doesn't bug me too much when I hear it misused by the everyday person, but I cringe when I see/hear it misused in the media, books, etc.
Now on this forum, lose/loose are frequently interchanged, and of course the old standards of there/their/they're. I'm bad (here on BYC) about typing ahead of my brain, writing "and" when I meant to stop at "an," and similar typos.
tongue.png

That really sucks
sad.png

Look I'm sorry that I have caused any upset. As I said I was only meaning to poke fun at myself for being overly interested in the finicky details of something that I see as merely cultural convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom