Am I the only pedantic grammar nerd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MIL (who is 92) would always say hope someone instead of help someone....I thought she was just not well educated.....turns out it is Old Saxon English...so there is some excuse for that...but her son, my husband, says instulation instead of insulation....I CANNOT get him to stop! LOL At least he puts the toilet seat down...

My pet annoyance is that here in Denver, there is a street named Poplar. A LOT of people (who live on it, mind you) call it Popular. They will even spell it this way for you if you ask.
barnie.gif
Now I know this message is probably not the best grammatically structured, but at least I know what street I live on.

On another thread, a business was mentioned that made me sufficiently curious to go to their website. It's full of very poor grammar and misspellings. I certainly know what to think of their business practices (and the thread content confirmed my impression).

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't seen any unkind posts on this thread, but get the feeling that maybe this isn't the topic for you. There are plenty of others out there.

see thats where we have a difference of opinion... and thats ok...

let me paint a picture..

we have children... we have people from all backgrounds, english may not be their first language. posting and reading.. and when something like this comes up it MAY (not always) deter them from posting.. making BYC seem like an unfriendly place where you have to be prim and proper and have every question, comment and/or phrase edited and grammatically correct

remember until you are perfect be careful when judging others

Just to cheer things up a little......My little brother was given a rather nice large balloon once, and took it outside to play...he came in crying and when asked what was wrong, he replied " My Balloon got flabergasted!"
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't seen any unkind posts on this thread, but get the feeling that maybe this isn't the topic for you. There are plenty of others out there.

let me paint a picture..

we have children... we have people from all backgrounds, english may not be their first language. posting and reading.. and when something like this comes up it MAY (not always) deter them from posting.. making BYC seem like an unfriendly place where you have to be prim and proper and have every question, comment and/or phrase edited and grammatically correct

X2.. You're a good person , Dar. You get it.
thumbsup.gif

You are not alone *pats back*

My parents really push the "good grammar" thing, and it annoyes the heck out of me when people talk like that.
rant.gif

Quote:
barnie.gif

I was invited to a very elegant dinner at church. The very beautiful invitation read:

Your Invited

I showed it to my daughter who looked at me and said:

My Invited
Her Invited
His Invited

Then we both cracked up laughing ...

I blame the schools... lol

pop.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

let me paint a picture..

X2.. You're a good person , Dar. You get it.
thumbsup.gif

What's that saying about glass houses and throwing rocks? I was fortunate to have access to a decent education. Many were not so lucky. It does not mean they are inferior in any way. In my opinion, common sense is far more valuable than book sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom