Am I wishing for something that isn’t possible?

Galaxy_rules

🌸🌱Galaxy🌱🌸
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2023
Canada 🍁
Hi,
I’m incubating chicks ( well, someone else is ) for my first time! 😁 I’m really excited, but… I’m going on vacation and only one person is going to be home, stuck with month old chicks, obviously I have to teach about pasty butt etc. but I think if I can get one of my hens to adopt them ( keeping her in the brooder, not outside ) it would be easier for others when I’m gone. Is this actually possible? I would put one hen in with them and watch for a few minutes, if she starts being mean, I’ll take her out and try a different hen. There is still like 13 days until they start hatching, but I want to be prepared.

How long has your broody hen been brooding for? What breed is she?

I would attempt putting the chicks under her while she's in her nest and not bring her to them. I would put only a couple under her at a time and try having all of them under her within 24 hours of introducing the first one. When introducing chicks like this, you're trying to make her think she hatched them. Watch them closely! Not all hens are good with chicks, and even those who are, might not take chicks at this age. (I had a brooder take in a six-week-old chick and had this random hen adopt a few 3-4-month-old chicks.)

When introducing them to her while she's in her nest, it probably wouldn't be safe if there were other adult chickens around. These chicks aren't her's and will not listen to her. They could get away from her and get killed.

How long has your broody hen been brooding for? What breed is she?

I would attempt putting the chicks under her while she's in her nest and not bring her to them. I would put only a couple under her at a time and try having all of them under her within 24 hours of introducing the first one. When introducing chicks like this, you're trying to make her think she hatched them. Watch them closely! Not all hens are good with chicks, and even those who are, might not take chicks at this age. (I had a brooder take in a six-week-old chick and had this random hen adopt a few 3-4-month-old chicks.)

When introducing them to her while she's in her nest, it probably wouldn't be safe if there were other adult chickens around. These chicks aren't her's and will not listen to her. They could get away from her and get killed.
We actually just collected them from the laying box as we don’t have anyone broody right now. The eggs are being incubated by someone else right now.

We actually just collected them from the laying box as we don’t have anyone broody right now. The eggs are being incubated by someone else right now.
If you don't have a current broody, then don't try it. A hen that isn't broody is more likely to kill chicks than one that is.

This can only be successful if you have or can encourage a hen to get broody asap.
Depends on the breed if this can be successful.

Tip: leave at least 5 eggs (fake eggs) in the nestbox. Switch the eggs with the chicks if they arrive (^^) . And don’t put the broody in the brooder. But If you dont have the right circumstances and no experience this can be problematic as well as caring for chicks in a brooder.

Tip 2 : Start reading in the articles.

Back
Top Bottom