Amaized with CX

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Owingsia, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    We just did a trial run of 10 CX. We are so happy with the birds we raised them all natural basically free ranged although they were in with the goats they had so much room. The amount of meat and the flavor of the birds has us hooked on these birds. Just thought I would share.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Finally some positive feedback on the CX. Felt like I was alone!

3. Owingsia

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    Thank you for that link.

Our poor goats had to fight for food against a few of the roos. Not that they actually had to fight but a few of the bigger roos would get to the food and the goats would try to get in to eat and have to push the chicken our of the way. 2 of the roos learned that they could sit on the food and the goats could not push them out of the way.

CX like that articul said inhale food and do forage for food. Ours never used 2 acres like his but then again our alpha roo does not like any of the hens going outside of 1 acre away from the coup.

We are very happy with the meat we get from our birds and are fun to raise once you figure out the best way to do it. They take some time to figure out how to forage and that they can wonder around but once they figure that out they come back at night. I thought they were stupid at first because they would not come back... I later realized they were looking for food and that if I started putting feed out 30-60 min before sundown I would find every bird waiting for me at the feeding area. CX are motivated by food in the biggest way.

4. aoxa

Very true!

My goats are worse than my CX for feed neediness. My chickens like to ride the goats haha

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. UrbanBirds

UrbanBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    WOw! I have to say I am very surprised by all this. I have been raising my own meaties for about 8 months now, and I too was under the spell that CX could not be pastured and didn't do well in this type of arrangement. So I raise FR and plan to breed heritage layers to my FR roo.

I love my organic, GMO free, soy free pastured FR chicken. But let's face it, it's not the same. And if you are used to typical American chicken with its huge breast meat and lighter flavor, you may be disappointed.

Enter my wife. She is happy that I am doing something that gives me so much enjoyment, but hates the idea that her food comes from an animal. She's the type that won't eat meat off the bone, etc. When I make my special curry chicken for her, the chewiness of the FR puts her off. It's disappointing to us both. I want her to like the meat I raise even if we don't talk about where it came from.

But with what you are telling me, I CAN have my pastured CX and eat it too! This is very exciting. Who's your fave hatchery or does it matter?

6. aoxa

Does not matter. Many people that do it as I do raise them from all over North America. I am in Canada, and have no idea which hatchery my CX come from, but they sure are great foragers!

1 person likes this.
  7. Owingsia

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    I get mine locally from a guy I know but he says when he is short he orders from out of state has no issues.

I have found CX are nasty when confined etc.. and like the link states they do take adjustment but are great birds. I have two right now that will be processed this weekend. I wanted to see how they do at 10 weeks and so far am very happy. They get fed 2x a day and forage for the rest of their food. Cant wait to slow cook these two up. Yum Yum.

Raising CX can be rewarding :)

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I have very limited experience with CX - tried my first 2 small groups this past summer - but I will agree that they can be pastured. The first bunch was very active and definitely enjoyed roaming around for treats. The second lot was less active than the first but they certainly did not spend all day sitting at the feeders. I was very happy with them, and I certainly would be willing to raise them again.

I'm trying Freedom Rangers now for a comparison. It will be interesting to see which we prefer.

9. UrbanBirds

UrbanBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    I like fr chicken, but it is definitely different than cx which is what everyone is expecting when you cook chicken for people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by