Amaya was killed and new budgie

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Akane, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Amaya my first budgie died. It was an accident but still my fault. It shouldn't have happened. I've been crying since thursday. Every time I see her cage, the materials I was using to make her toys, or even just the thought of going home makes me start crying because I remember Amaya isn't there.

Finally my husband talked me in to getting a new budgie. I picked out the most energetic (and somewhat insane) budgie in the pen. A little sky blue female with opaline wing pattern. She escaped twice from the experienced bird person trying to get her in a box. Finally she gave up escape and resorted to biting and screaming until she was securely in the box. At home she got silent for a day until I chirped at her as loud and high pitched as I could. She eventually answered and hasn't really shut up since. She's bouncing around her cage like a pinball and I've compared her to a child after eating all the halloween candy. [​IMG] I did get her to chill long enough to start teaching her to step up on to a perch. She eventually got bored and went off on a squawking flapping tirade until she ran in to something. I decided we will work in very short sessions and I feel sorry for the future male I want to get for her companion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    She's beautiful!! I used to have two budgies but then they died. That was a long time ago, and now I have a pearl cockatiel. She is super friendly and loves to be with me wherever I go (around the house). She's layed 3 clutches of eggs this year, the first two clutches totaling 4 eggs each and this last clutch totaling 3 eggs. I wish I could get her a mate! Good luck with your budgie (and budgies to come [​IMG] )!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww! I love budgies... [​IMG]

4. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    where do u live because i have 17 parakeets that i can't keep anymore ande most of them are great beautiful blue male and their are some pair mating one with eggs

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Unfortunately I'm in Iowa so half a country away. I do know someone doing bird rescue. However she mostly has cockatiels and she's not sure she wants to part with any of her budgies. She has 2 dark blue males and a very pied female that we would like to have. I messaged someone about a nearly all white male with bits of light blue on hoobly.com but haven't received an answer.

6. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm so sorry for your loss... these things happen, but when it's an accident it's always harder. I'm thrilled you found someone new to try and help heal that wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by