Amazing....13 hour power outage

chickens really

I am a legend
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Sep 8, 2015
The Funny Farm....Alberta, Canada
I am amazed.....I had a power outage beginning last evening at 6:15 that lasted till this morning at 7:45.....Both incubators with Call and Mini Appleyard eggs...I removed 6 and put under my Broody Duck just to be safe and save some....The power came back on and I waited 2 hours to heat up the eggs again and candled them...All embryos are bouncing and alive....I am so happy and excited ....Eggs are tough.....

The ones I had under a broody hen were not delayed. They hatched within a 12 hour time period with the other eggs set at the same time under other broody hens.

The ones I have hatching right now...two are delayed behind the others by two days. But there are variables there I had no control over...they were under broody hens and the eggs may have been added by other hens. I only marked them the same night.

Totally different situation.....Thanks though....

Perhaps I didn't explain that well. The eggs under the one broody hen went approx. 11+ hours not being set on in 6C (43F) degree temps.
I had two other broody hens setting on the same type of eggs...set at the same time. All the eggs from all the broody hens hatched within a 12 hour period, including the eggs that were left cold. It didn't delay them.

I just had eggs at point of hatching that I left out for 12 hours not being heated or sat on. Then put them in the incubator. They are hatching right now. Two are slightly delayed.

The point is developing eggs that have been cold that stay alive and still hatch, correct?

Yes....Too many caution about temp and losses....This is my second time reviving cold eggs and hatching them...Might not get 100% but still something is better than nothing...Hatching eggs is easy and really not that complicated....I enjoy it..

I read that they tolerate getting cold for up to 12 hours, often without issue accept that they are delayed. it seems that once they cool off enough they go into a dormant state, which, interestingly enough has less of an effect than being close to the right temperature but not close enough.

That is exactly what happened ....I candled as soon as the power was on and nothing was moving in the eggs....Two hours later they were bouncing and great...Makes you wonder about if a predator was after them and Momma Had to hide for twelve hours without covering her eggs...Of course they hatch...Very cool how hardy they really are..I never Baby my eggs...I just hatch them and have pretty great success...I needed to start this because I think some people give up if the embryos are not moving after getting cold and unknowingly throw in the towel...

Back
Top Bottom