Amber link

an amberlink is a cross between a rhode island red (rir) and a white rock thay are great forgers i plan on breeding my own out soon.

It is my opinion that they are dominant white- if they are a rock cross the rocks are carrying dominant white. It would not be unusual for white rock to carry dominant white. A person can get birds similar in color using another genotype but the birds always show some black in the tail. It may be a very small amount but it will show up.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
Its not going to be just as simple as that. They are specially bred to be feather sexed and as Tim said, they obviously carry dominant white and not all white rock strains are going to have dominant white. You can't expect just breed any white rock and a RIR and get what you want. They most likely have a specificly bred male strain and a specifc female strain.

Last edited:
Dominant white can be used in a red sex linked cross but in this case color can not be used to sex the chicks at hatch. As Rare Roo stated earlier the chicks would have to be feather sexed.

Tim

Oh boy. My son gave me 30 (DeKalb) amberlink chicks as an Easter gift to add to the 45 RIR, NH and Comets hens I already have. Being I free range and live in the forest, I am not particulaly happy with his choice of a white chicken. They are more visible to predators. (Several years ago, I had a flock of various colored hens and found that within a couple weeks I had lost all of the white hens to predators, but none of the buff, black, red or speckled hens.)Also not too enthused when I read they lay "large medium" eggs. What my customers have become accustomed to are much larger than jumbo. In my neighborhood, anything smaller than an x-large is hard to move. I really don't know much if anything about Amber Links. But hope they put my mind at ease once they are old enough to turn out.

As far as all the commotion about what they are a resulting cross of.....I did a little bit of reasearch and found that there are several "strains" of Amber Links (DeKalb, Blackwater, Staffordshire, ect.). Each has similar laying characteristics, yet are slightly different in coloring and disposition. Here in the US, DeKalb are most common. Blackwater are found in isolated pockets along the east coast. Staffordshires are found mostly in the UK.

Last edited:
I have a few Amberlinks that are ready to lay, but no eggs yet. Mine are all very calm and friendly birds. Most are white with the faint amber colored feathers, but a couple have much more red on them. Here are some pics I took of a couple of the pullets when they were about 4 months old.
19748_chicpic_132.jpg

19748_chicpic_126.jpg
Hey KY, I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you can post some more pix of your Amberlink girls? I just got 6 AL chicks and would love to see pics of adults. I really like my chicks, they seem very friendly and active, and especially inquisitive compared to the other chicks I've raised. I really hope mine have some of the brown splashes, I think it makes for a very attractive pullet! Regards, auto5man

I had two amberlink hens and out of all ten chickens they are the most friendly and mild mannered ones. They like us to hold them, don't mind us petting tuem and usually stand back while all the others eat first. They haven't started laying yet but they are all white except the we call josie has the tan feathers around her neck here lately. Miller, the other one is truly white all over, hence the miller vanillie name ;).

I have six amber link chickens and I found that they are Rhode Island Red (docile, quiet, good layers) and Plymouth Rock (hearty, docile, good layers) cross. To me, it's the best of both worlds. I love mine and think they're great!

We purchased 5 from Dunlap Hatchery this spring. They call them Amber Whites though. They are the most friendly bird in our flock. Also have eggs squats at 14 weeks!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom